please help - rash on neck

mikeptort

hi guys, thanks for taking time to help a fellow tortoise enthusiast. my guys is approaching 2 yrs and in the last week i've noticed a small red dot or blood clot on his neck, i'm thinking from his shell. i'm going to attach pictures to show what i mean. maybe it will go away and it's a normal thing to happen when the shell's growing, i'm not sure i'd really appreciate some words from more experienced owners. thank you, mike.
side note: if pictures are not good enough i can try to get better quality and update , thanks again.

Inked20170319_170224_001 (2)_LI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mikeptort

sorry i posted it twice first time on site, if theres a way to delete one i cant figure it out -- sorry!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Is your tort solo in his enclosure? Or are there any roommates? What's the substrate? Do you soak him/her? That skin looks very dry. I like to use cold pressed coconut oil after bath on occasion to rub on my torts' skin, scales and shells, it seems to do a nice job conditioning stuff as well as having some great antiseptic properties

mikeptort

It looks more like a lesion than rash to me. Could you take better pics with zoom on this spot and not using any color filters?
Is your tort solo in his enclosure? Or are there any roommates? What's the substrate? Do you soak him/her? That skin looks very dry. I like to use cold pressed coconut oil after bath on occasion to rub on my torts' skin, scales and shells, it seems to do a nice job conditioning stuff as well as having some great antiseptic properties
he is solo, substrate is cypress mulch, and i will invest in some coconut oil to help with the skin, and give more baths, (only bathed occasionally), thank you for your responses and advice

mikeptort

He could have just cut it in his shell if there's a sharp spot. Or stuck it in between something and spooked and scraped it that way.
everything is pretty smooth in enclosure but ill take a look and remove any rocks that look to be sharp, thank you.

mikeptort

Wait... don't peel the skin!!! I was just asking if you had because that might have caused the injury.
no, i wouldnt mess with his skin, ive only bathed him to help clean and hydrate his skin this weekend when i get time im going to do an update on it.