Please help me identify this baby turtle

liesaallie

I found this baby turtle last week in my driveway in Panama City Beach, Florida. We've been keeping him in a bowl of shallow water with a few rocks to climb on. We have fed him turtle stick food from the pet store, but he hasn't eaten any for a couple days now. It looks like he has little claws on his feet. I have searched through pictures on the internet, but can't find any that have the bright yellow stripe down the middle with yellow dots around the outer shell rim. I want to do what's best for the turtle. Can anyone please identify and tell me how to take care of it, or if I should let it go? If I need to let it go, where would be the best place? I worry about it starving or getting eaten by a bird. Thanks everyone!

Turtle baby 3.jpg Turtle baby 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry, I'm no good at I.D.ing baby water turtles. He's awfully cute, though. Try offering him some live food, like worms or crickets.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Cute guy! Florida Box Turtle hatchling.

No, I don't think so. I went back and forth between water turtle and box turtle, and I really can't say for sure, but Florida box turtles look like this as hatchlings:

HatchlingFloridas1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It could possibly be a Gulf coast box turtle hatchling:

BabyGulfie.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My first thought was gulf Coast box turtle.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Adorable!:<3: However, I don't know what species he is-sorry.:(

And a very warm welcome to the forum!;)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
No, I don't think so. I went back and forth between water turtle and box turtle, and I really can't say for sure, but Florida box turtles look like this as hatchlings:

HatchlingFloridas1.jpg
Yvonne, It is definitely a box turtle hatchling. You can tell by the beak for one thing. But, I do think it may very well be the gulf Coast Box as rereading, I see it was found in Panama City. That would be more Gulf Coast territory than Florida Box. The Florida aren't normally found on the panhandle.

Berkeley

Agreed. It is a Gulf Coast box hatchling.

I am fairly certain that an individual may own two box turtles (total) in Florida, but it is always wise to check. Contact the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission to find out for sure.

--Berkeley

AJK Aquaria

Make every effort to release it close by into a somewhat protected/wild area. Or follow the link above and research a young box turtle's care. There are also quality articles on this site regarding boxies.