please help both eyes white.

wayneiak

5 Year Member
Hi im looking after a tortoise (think horsefield) for two weeks while the owner is away.
He didn't open its eyes the first day even when i picked him up and he walked round with them shut so after a bit of research i gave him a lukewarm bath and he opened hiseyes, they are both white and I dont think he can see. Also haven't seen him eat anything even when i try feeding him by hand. Ill post pics. Any help would be much appreciated thanks wayne.IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1683.JPG IMG_1682.JPG IMG_1684.JPG this is his tank.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would switch out the substrate for coconut coir and a bigger water dish, one he can soak in and I would also give him a daily warm soak. If you are using a cfl bulb coil type stop using IG, it will be the cause of the problem

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He also should have a hide and some humidity. A bigger enclosure is also in need. Let the owners know all you learn here.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, thats what i was thinking. Such a completely sterile environment :-( Needs some visual stimulation, some variety, a few tufts of grass, and weeds, a place to hide and get out of the light for a nap, etc. a change in the substrate, and, id sink the water bowl level into the substrate, id ditch the food bowl/dish for a flat stone/tile to help with the beak. Could probably use a cuttle bone in there as well.

I would also check the lights and give this guy some daily soaks.

FujiBaird

From the shell and skin coloring, it appears that it might be a Hermann's tortoise. All of the above suggestions would apply to a Hermann's -- but you might also consider visiting the Hermann's tortoise subforum (under Mediterranean tortoises) to get more ideas on how to help this little fellow.

Is the enclosure you pictured his permanent enclosure, or just a temporary one while you are watching him?

Randi

Canada

Has anyone noticed his head in one of the pictures? It almost looks burnt, as there is a really dark and scaly circle patch of skin. It looks like an injury. He also has something on the eyelid above the eye. Please follow the directions given. I think a visit to the vet may be required. I would contact the owner for permission and then I would bring the tortoise in. There's something wrong.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That could be pus, or it could be the nictitating membrane. Whatever it is, he would benefit from a soothing application of some sort of eye ointment.

You get this one either from a vet or from a feed store:
eye ointment a.jpg

This one is sold at pet stores, but not all pet stores carry it:
86035.jpg

If it's the nictitating membrane, stress is usually what causes it to swell.

wayneiak

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your comments. Quick update I've bathed him twice today he seemed to like it and after he had a little kale to eat. He still cant see so tomorrow going to get some eye drops and some new coconut coir substrate. For the time been ive put him in a makeshift tortoise table until he improves. The lighting in the vivarium is a reptiglow/5.0/15w/ exo-terra. And his heat source is a heat pad stuck on the side of the tank. Also i don't think he gets any vitamins could anyone help in which vitamins to buy? IMG_1692.JPG
His he horsefield or a hermans?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's either a Greek or a Hermanns, deff. not a Horsefield.

I don't think he's warm enough. The heat on the side of the tank doesn't do the trick. He needs a heat light or a Ceramic Heat Emitter. Something that hangs down from the top that he can sit under to warm up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As Yvonne said a heat source from above. A ceramin heat emitter would be good for day and night heat as it doesn't give off light, just heat. @HermanniChris can help with a positive ID.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, thats what i was thinking. Such a completely sterile environment :-( Needs some visual stimulation, some variety, a few tufts of grass, and weeds, a place to hide and get out of the light for a nap, etc. a change in the substrate, and, id sink the water bowl level into the substrate, id ditch the food bowl/dish for a flat stone/tile to help with the beak. Could probably use a cuttle bone in there as well.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1450477947.398474.jpg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you for looking after this poor tort - he is obviously not receiving the correct care - any chance they would let you adopt him? I'm not familiar with that bulb but if it is a coiled or long thing loopy sort it must be changed asap (sorry if I'm repeating not had chance to read all posts yet)

FujiBaird

I'm so glad he's finally eating for you! Due to the eye issues and a potential lack of vitamins, perhaps this tort would benefit from a baby food soak the next time you bathe him? A search of the forum will give you directions on what to do. :) Agree with the others that the heat pad on the wall is probably not warming him up enough, I bet a new heat source and some eye drops will do wonders for him. As for vitamins, a standard reptile calcium powder should suffice... since this is an indoor tortoise, you can get one with or without D3. You could also get a cuttlebone if there isn't a reptile vitamin available. Thanks for being such a conscientious tort-sitter!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Definitely looks to be a vitamin deficiency. It's a Hermann's and appears to be a Dalmatian (T. h. hercegovinensis).