PLEASE HELP! ASAP (Russian climbing the walls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleighcamps

5 Year Member
Hello. I have a 2 and a half year old tortoise and he keeps scratching against his walls. Does anyone know what this is and caused by? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: HELP!

Welcome to the Forum, Ashleigh!

Its hard for us to help you with such a small amount of information given. Can you maybe post a picture of the habitat.

More than likely the space is too small.

It would be nice if you would post an "introduction" so we can get to know you.

ashleighcamps

5 Year Member
PLEASE HELP! ASAP

My tortoise is going crazy. He's trying to climb up his walls, but is more like scratching at them m Making an awful loud noise. He does this every so often, he will do it solid for a few weeks then he stops for a while. I take him out all the time, he is fine when he is out, but as soon as I put him back in his vivarium he goes crazy.

Does anyone else's tortoise do this and what is it caused by and how can I stop it?

Many thanks.

Also, with him scratching on the walls to a point where he is almost standing up is resulting in him flipping over onto his back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: PLEASE HELP! ASAP

Hi Ashleigh:

In my opinion, it is a big mistake to allow a tortoise to be out of his habitat. Once he experiences the bigger picture, he's not satisfied anymore to live in the smaller area.

Another thing to consider is that Russian tortoises need a lot of space. Something tells me that your habitat isn't big enough for your tortoise. Go to a home improvement store and buy the biggest plastic tub you can afford. Or even better, buy two of them, cut out opposing ends and put the two together for one great big tub. Then buy some "furniture"...plants, rocks, little houses/hiding places. Make it interesting for your tortoise. How boring it must be to wake up every morning, look out at your domain and be able to see the whole world. When you add sight barriers (furniture), he has to walk around to see his whole habitat.

Of course, the very best thing would be to make a safe and secure outdoor pen for the tortoise.

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Ashburn, VA

ashleighcamps said:
My tortoise is going crazy. He's trying to climb up his walls, but is more like scratching at them m Making an awful loud noise. He does this every so often, he will do it solid for a few weeks then he stops for a while. I take him out all the time, he is fine when he is out, but as soon as I put him back in his vivarium he goes crazy.

Does anyone else's tortoise do this and what is it caused by and how can I stop it?

Many thanks.

Also, with him scratching on the walls to a point where he is almost standing up is resulting in him flipping over onto his back.

Most likely he is hungry, bored or cramped or all of the above. As yvonne said, take a pic and post it. Then people can really help, without it, or a very good discription, there isnt much to go on. Torts are notorious for grass is greener thinking.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Re: PLEASE HELP! ASAP

My Leopard used to do this every single day in his old SMALL enclosure. Now he has a big enclosure and he's never done it since.

My thoughts are your tortoise doesn't have enough room. Especially seeing as he's a Russian. They are notorious for trying to escape and needing tones of room.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

He probably wants out of his enclosure. I have an indoor enclosure for night time and an outdoor one for day. Every morning he is ready to go outside and he scratches and climbs his indoor one until I take him outside....which is usually first thing. Your guy may need more space (like others have said). Do you have anything outdoors for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.