Plastron question

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I am so excited to be part of the group! I got a baby cherryhead red foot last week, and I wanted ya'll to tell me if this is normal. He is super sweet, so I named him/her Doce, which is Portuguese for sweet. The plastron? Is very, very bumpy. ImageUploadedByTortForum1384706426.412247.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384706450.079868.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384706466.596851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi 'J':

Baby tortoises are sort of folded in half inside the egg. This leaves a few bumps and wrinkles on the plastron, that smooth out as the baby grows. However, it kind of looks like your baby might have a bit of shell fungus goin' on. We've talked about this quite a bit, and you can find the various threads on it if you put "shell rot" in the Google custom search box up at the top/right side of each screen.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Plastron is normal. Many hatchlings have all kinds of bumpiness and deformities on the plastron. One of mine is so severe the tort is unidentifiable looking at just its plastron. As they grow it will become less noticeable.

jdelagarza001

5 Year Member
Thank you for your response! Now I am going to obsess about the fungus! [PENSIVE FACE] i will definitely read about it and follow the instructions.
Jennifer

The G

Hello all, I would like to know more about what normal looks like for my 9 month old Cherry head. She continues to be very active. I have noticed the marbling on her shell, which I was told is normal.

Attachments

• Scooter's Shell.JPG
    Scooter's Shell.JPG
    635.3 KB · Views: 11

The G

Thanks Dutchie Amanda I appreciate the quick response