Plants for indoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggotlyfe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
MA
I was looking to add come plants to my enclosure. Is there something that I can find at a garden store that can go in and they can eat?

M

Maggie Cummings

I can't name anything for you, but I give a reminder that those plants you have access to buy come from a nursery and were loaded with fertilizers and other growth chemicals so I would advise you to really rinse and rinse and rinse any plant before you feed the flowers or any plant parts to a tortoise. I personally would be afraid to feed a plant or plant parts to my tortoise :)

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Hello! My vet works with the Desert Museum here in Arizona and other reptile stores and he suggests the following: Bermuda grass, petunias, clover, nasturtium, dichondra, Hibiscus, Plantain, morning glory, Globe mallow, deer grass, rose petals, mulberry leaves.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Mine loves the petunias, but if you put the plant in with them, it will be completely eaten by morning.

Yeah, I haven't purchased the morning glory plant before, it was on the list that my vet gave and also a local nursery here hands out copies of edible plants for tortoises and it's also on that. It's hard to know sometimes exactly what in-depth they can eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.