What kind of enclosure plants?

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise in a indoor enclosure and was wondering what sort of plants he can eat. Are there any plants that I can find outside to give to him? What about any type of cactus that I can buy from the store for him to eat?

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I also was looking at buying a silver torch cactus to put in Luke's enclosure. Is this a edible kind of cactus in case he eats it? I will attach a picture of the cactus. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1469046420.462153.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I've fed optunia cactus to my tortoise, but not the one you have. Where are you located so we know what plants are common in your area?

Prairie Mom

Are you asking about plants you can GROW inside the enclosure or simply pick and feed?

If you're talking about growing plants, here's a few ideas...
I keep a sulcata, but believe they have similar diets. It can be tricky to keep plants alive in indoor enclosures. Your best bet would be organically grown houseplants or shade garden plants. I've had success with spider houseplants, ferns, hostas, and african violets to name a few. You can also rotate plants in pots. This will probably be the best way to get healthy weeds in there, because so many prefer lots of sunshine. I've rotated in dandelions, chicory, snap dragons, and other weeds and flowers. --You just have to know that the lifespan of these plants will not be long without grow lights and being tortoise food:)

If you're in need of food ideas that you can pick from your yard, garden, etc there's tons of plant lists around the forum. I'm sure members can steer you in the right direction.

Oogway the russian tort

I have a spider plant as well a a spine les prickly pear cactus and so succulents (not all succulents are good for your tort)