Planting invasive plants.

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Large yard available for growing sulcata food. Unfortunately many of the plants I hope to put in the yard are 1) plants that are considered invasive or 2) I'm not even sure if it is toxic to the sulcata. For example :Sweet Broom. Lovely flowering bush with rapid growth. :pampas Grass. Another lovely flowering plant that grows fast. They both are invasive plants. Do you know if they are edible for sulcata's?

It seems it would be better to find an alternative to invasive plants, but they grow so well for our tortoises' voracious appetite.

Please let me know what you grow to feed your large sulcata's. The fruitless mulberry trees are great ! Every sulcata owner should have one. Grape vines too for their leaves. Hibiscus leaves are ok but he does not seem to prefer them. The spineless cacti he loves, loves, loves. Yes, I have seen the lists of toxic and non toxics and the lists of weeds to feed but gosh darn it I'm a bit dim and find it quite overwhelming at times. Keep it simple.

What do you grow to feed your large sulcata's?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I don't typically go out of my way to grow anything "special" for my sulcata. The outside yard is thick with at the least 5 assorted grasses as well as dandelion, white clover, and both broad and narrow leaf plantains. I'm up in the PNW of the states and this region grows its plants easy. My sulcata is older,(15-20 years) and favors the grass, but is most happiest when I step in the tortoise yard, because he knows I've been foraging broadleaf treats for him.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thanks. The Rose of Sharon will be great to plant along one side of his enclosure. The 7 hibiscus plants are not large. Flowers alone do not go very far for making much of a dent in his appetite.

... I'm not sure why my post included a smiley face for Pampas grass...

Hoping to find solutions with fast growing edibles.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I don't typically go out of my way to grow anything "special" for my sulcata. The outside yard is thick with at the least 5 assorted grasses as well as dandelion, white clover, and both broad and narrow leaf plantains. I'm up in the PNW of the states and this region grows its plants easy. My sulcata is older,(15-20 years) and favors the grass, but is most happiest when I step in the tortoise yard, because he knows I've been foraging broadleaf treats for him.

Thanks. I am not familiar with plantains. Will look into that and probably plant some seeds. Living in dry Southern CA my grass yard is quite small. They are paying residents to remove grass lawns to conserve water. We removed 1/2 our lawn a few years ago before we had our sulcata. Now I'm all excited to mow my small yard and bring the cuttings to Sherman. He watches me mowing and knows exactly what that is about.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Sorry, I'm sorta babbling here… that said, I'm always concerned about planting, "invasive" simply because they're invasive for a reason. Maybe they out compete native plants, contributing to their decline. Maybe they support invasive insects or animals that end up threatening native critters. You get what I'm saying, right?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Thanks. I am not familiar with plantains. Will look into that and probably plant some seeds.
Plantains are a weed. It must have some human medicinal properties to it because I find the seeds on eBay. Come daylight, if no rain, I'll go out and get some pictures for you. I don't buy foods for my tortoise because it all grows so easy here. I used to have a 25lb. Bag of mazuri tortoise chow, but it was commandeered by a tortoise enthusiast while I was unconscious in a hospital.
I live on 5 acres of southern facing pasture that tortoises seem to love.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Razan, about what age is your sulcata?

Good question. Wish I had a good answer. The previous owner said he was 40. He got Sherman from a friend a long time ago. Tortoise forum advisors guesstimated 18 to 25 I think. My memory is ...anyway, nobody knows for sure.

Sorry, I'm sorta babbling here… that said, I'm always concerned about planting, "invasive" simply because they're invasive for a reason. Maybe they out compete native plants, contributing to their decline. Maybe they support invasive insects or animals that end up threatening native critters. You get what I'm saying, right?

Precisely. Which is why I would like to find other options for fast growing deliciousness's to feed my hungry hungry hippo. Spanish broom/Sweet Broom multiplies quite readily, grows fast and produces beautiful dry tinder for California wildfires. The Invasive Species post is to inspire helpful people to provide sound advice. I'm not too proud to ask for help.

What other fast growing, large quantity edibles are people feeding their sulcatas?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
As far as weeds go, I was bored,(girlfriend is working tonight) so I looked up some eBay weed seed sellers for you. Understand, I, in no can or do support these sellers. If they are great or no, say so. Just please understand I've no connection, good or bad with the sellers. I have have good luck buying eBay weed seed from eBay sellers.

Look at this on eBay:
Narrow leaf plantain…

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111782976960

Plantago Plantain (50=>1600 seeds) lanceolata tortoise forage homeopathy ST#268

Look at this on eBay:
Broadleaf plantain

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=172111371354

75 + organically grown plantago major broadleaf plantain fresh 2015 seeds + Gift

Look at this on eBay:
Italian dandelion…
Chicory? Blue flower dandelion?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111784608085

Italian Dandelion (500 thru 2LB) Cichorium intybus tortoise cattle sheep forage

Look at this on eBay:
Yellow dandelion

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121909017588

Dandelion (200 thru 6400 seeds) wine tortoise herpetology survival heirloom #38

Look at this on eBay:
Mallow seeds

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111194059233

ROSE MALLOW, 25+ SEEDS, ORGANIC, BEAUTIFUL BRIGHT ROSE FLOWERS, FLOWER, GARDEN

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Large yard available for growing sulcata food. Unfortunately many of the plants I hope to put in the yard are 1) plants that are considered invasive or 2) I'm not even sure if it is toxic to the sulcata. For example :Sweet Broom. Lovely flowering bush with rapid growth. :pampas Grass. Another lovely flowering plant that grows fast. They both are invasive plants. Do you know if they are edible for sulcata's?

It seems it would be better to find an alternative to invasive plants, but they grow so well for our tortoises' voracious appetite.

Please let me know what you grow to feed your large sulcata's. The fruitless mulberry trees are great ! Every sulcata owner should have one. Grape vines too for their leaves. Hibiscus leaves are ok but he does not seem to prefer them. The spineless cacti he loves, loves, loves. Yes, I have seen the lists of toxic and non toxics and the lists of weeds to feed but gosh darn it I'm a bit dim and find it quite overwhelming at times. Keep it simple.

The diet of my tortoises evolves throughout the year. In winter the mulberry trees and grape vines, lawn grass, most plants, and cactus stands go dormant, but the weeds come alive. This time of year I feed a lot of mallow, wild grasses, filaree, wild mustard, and lots of other weeds like sow-thistle, plantain, and dandelion, in smaller quantities as I can find them. In May/June when it gets hotter and the weeds dry up and die, I start feeding grass clippings from the yard, mulberry and grape leaves, cactus pads and they always have grass hay available. The transition in Fall when the rains haven't started yet, but all the summer plants go dormant is my most difficult time of year. I use more Mazuri then to get me through and scrounge whatever I can.

I also grow gazania, hollyhock, pansies, alfalfa, clover, various grass mixes, Tyler's "Testudo Mix", African hibiscus, pumpkin and other squash for the leaves and blooms, sunflowers for the leaves, lavatera, and I have about 40 cactus stands of a variety of different spineless opuntia.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
The diet of my tortoises evolves throughout the year. In winter the mulberry trees and grape vines, lawn grass, most plants, and cactus stands go dormant, but the weeds come alive. This time of year I feed a lot of mallow, wild grasses, filaree, wild mustard, and lots of other weeds like sow-thistle, plantain, and dandelion, in smaller quantities as I can find them. In May/June when it gets hotter and the weeds dry up and die, I start feeding grass clippings from the yard, mulberry and grape leaves, cactus pads and they always have grass hay available. The transition in Fall when the rains haven't started yet, but all the summer plants go dormant is my most difficult time of year. I use more Mazuri then to get me through and scrounge whatever I can.

I also grow gazania, hollyhock, pansies, alfalfa, clover, various grass mixes, Tyler's "Testudo Mix", African hibiscus, pumpkin and other squash for the leaves and blooms, sunflowers for the leaves, lavatera, and I have about 40 cactus stands of a variety of different spineless opuntia.

Thanks. This is super helpful. You specified African Hibiscus. Will any Hibiscus be ok ? Another question is how much cacti to feed? Currently he gets one 8 x 3" about every other day. His stomach gurgles loudly when he eats a lot of it so I have limited the amount to this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't think regular hibiscus will survive where you are. Do you see it around? Here it freezes in the winter and burns in the summer. I plant African hibiscus every spring and feed it out all summer long. It also dies in the winter.

One cactus pad every other day is probably fine, as long as he's also eating grass and lots of other stuff too. I give it to my guys once or twice a week in summer.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I don't think regular hibiscus will survive where you are. Do you see it around? Here it freezes in the winter and burns in the summer. I plant African hibiscus every spring and feed it out all summer long. It also dies in the winter.

One cactus pad every other day is probably fine, as long as he's also eating grass and lots of other stuff too. I give it to my guys once or twice a week in summer.

Yes, hibiscus do survive here and we see some nice large ones around. In full sun they do very poorly. The 7 little ones we planted are in part shade are growing well. They have kept leaves all year round. It rarely freezes here.

Sherman's main food is Orchard or Bermuda hay. Everything else is mixed in at random.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Might it be possible to container-grow some of those plants?

I am sure to container grow some invasive plants might work to keep them from spreading. Like with peppermint or mint plant. It would not work with broom plants or grasses. They reproduce and reseed differently. Unfortunately indoor plants are very unsuccessful at our house.
Anybody ever try to get rid of mint plants? Impossible.

Starting seedlings is fun but everybody is happy when they finally go outside. Pets are a higher priority and eventually the plants get neglected and die. Our pets get spoiled and fat. Indoor plants are always on trial and the first to be guilty of anything. If my dear husband see's one little gnat flying around he instantly says "get rid of the plants". Outdoors work well for me. Automatic watering, lots of sun, no bugs, no worries. We have lots of pets. Cats, dogs, torts, had a horse, chinchilla's yadda yadda yadda if he can handle all that and wants just to have a bug free home I don't mind.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I am sure to container grow some invasive plants might work to keep them from spreading. Like with peppermint or mint plant. It would not work with broom plants or grasses. They reproduce and reseed differently. Unfortunately indoor plants are very unsuccessful at our house.
Anybody ever try to get rid of mint plants? Impossible.

Starting seedlings is fun but everybody is happy when they finally go outside. Pets are a higher priority and eventually the plants get neglected and die. Our pets get spoiled and fat. Indoor plants are always on trial and the first to be guilty of anything. If my dear husband see's one little gnat flying around he instantly says "get rid of the plants". Outdoors work well for me. Automatic watering, lots of sun, no bugs, no worries. We have lots of pets. Cats, dogs, torts, had a horse, chinchilla's yadda yadda yadda if he can handle all that and wants just to have a bug free home I don't mind.
We have mint plants growing wild around our roses. They grow faster and lusher than nearly everything else in our yard.

I don't grow anything special for Charlie. Hibiscus rooted in our yard on its own; neighbors on both sides had it. Grass and weeds grow naturally.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I sure miss all the various mint plants I had at my last home. Anyone want to share some samples?

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
I sure miss all the various mint plants I had at my last home. Anyone want to share some samples?

Absolutely. Be glad to send you some. A quick mailing in a zip lock bag should be simple enough. No charge. Just be careful where you plant it because it can't be stopped once it is in dirt.

And does anyone know if passion fruit leaves are toxic to tort' s ? They are toxic as a rule but torts eat the darn-dest stuff.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA

Definitely not babbling. In fact you called it correctly. Researching in "The Tortoise Table" it clearly states do not plant this anywhere near your tortoise enclosure. Sweet Broom also competes with native plants and threatens local tortoise population. It is toxic to tortoises. Brooms contain alkaloids that can be lethal to tortoises. Unfortunately I can say my sulcata likes it. Now he will never taste it again and remain healthy. Thanks for your posts .