PICS - Handsome WC Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATMAN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I often wondered if there might be any box turtles around where I live, since it's heavily wooded above me. I haven't seen any the past 8 years I lived here. That changed last week after I came down off the mountain from my hike and found this beautiful handsome box turtle in the woods just behind my house. I took these pictures of him and took him back up the mountain where he will be safe from cars and lawn mowers!

T4.jpg

T2.jpg

T3.jpg

MaleBox.jpg

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Awesome pictures. We would like to find a boy like that for our female!! Some day!! Thanks for sharing Pat!! I can't imagine what it would be like to see one like that in the wild.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
That was gorgeous! I sure wish I lived so close to those ! Makes me wonder if there's any around my area.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Beautiful! We mostly have the yellow in color around here too. That one is exceptional. It's interesting how color changes in different states.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
terryo said:
Beautiful! We mostly have the yellow in color around here too. That one is exceptional. It's interesting how color changes in different states.

Does the red/orange/yellow color of boxies fade if they don't get a lot of beta-carotene in their diet in captivity? That happens in some other animals.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I've never seen that, mostly because I've always kept mine outside, except for my Ornate and any babies that come in for the Winter. I've seen some that were very badly deformed from poor husbandry and poor diet, but yet they still had some color. This is one that someone brought in to show at my herp club. This picture doesn't do him justice. He was loaded with color....yellow and orange all over his face and legs. (sorry Patrick, didn't mean to hijack your thread)
056-7.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
terryo said:
I've never seen that, mostly because I've always kept mine outside, except for my Ornate and any babies that come in for the Winter. I've seen some that were very badly deformed from poor husbandry and poor diet, but yet they still had some color. This is one that someone brought in to show at my herp club. This picture doesn't do him justice. He was loaded with color....yellow and orange all over his face and legs. (sorry Patrick, didn't mean to hijack your thread)

Gorgeous - both of them.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Two of the best I have ever seen. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.