Percy and his "Pet" Terrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
I moved a few weeks ago, and my new yard is mostly wooden privacy fence, except the back fence is an old metal fence. No way Percy can get through, but I am still trying to figure out how to block his view from the yard beyond the fence so he won't even try when he gets bigger.

For now though I had left it "open" to where he could see and even stick his head through the fence - but nothing else.

Well the neighbor back there has two dogs - one really old fat lab that never moves and one young but really sweet terrier.

The terrier actually never barks - not yappy at all! So I was surprised one day to hear the terrier barking up a storm. I went out to see what he was barking at, and I saw Percy by the fence. The terrier was freaked out!!

Percy at first was cautious and he just kept his distance and circled back towards the house, but still took his time and grazed on his way back.

The next day I heard the dog barking again, and I went to look to see if it was Percy again thinking this dog would never get used to Percy and I would hear the barking forever.

Well Percy was not just by the fence - he was up against the fence - walking parallel, almost teasing the dog. I thought at first he was stuck between the fence and this old stump, but the little **** was sitting there teasing the dog!!!

I picked him up and carried him all the way the patio and fed him some aloe just to move him away from the dog.

Third day I heard the dog barking and I KNEW it was Percy so I look and I see Percy by the fence. I watched through my window and Percy starts charging at the fence! I saw it shaking and the little terrier run away!!!

I went back there to fuss at Percy and make sure he wasn't actually trying to get through the fence, and I saw a huge pile of poo - the biggest I had seen him "lay" in one sitting and then - and I have NEVER seen him do this - he peed on top of this huge pile of poo!!!

He looked at me with this smile on his face and walked away from the fence. I stood there stunned!

The dog no longer barks at him for the most part, but if he does, Percy goes up to the fence and gives him the evil eye.

It's quite hilarious.

Oh and we have back steps that go up to our back door - my house is on piers. Percy has been climbing the steps and sitting by the back door.

My theory is that he misses my two dogs and wants them to come out. I think he likes it when my two dogs are out in the yard because he feels protected. Either that or he's jealous he can't come in.

He comes when I call him now, and he gets excited when I "smooch" with my mouth like when I call my dogs. I think he thinks he's a dog.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What a great story.

I'd love to see some new photos of Sir Percival to illustrate the characters and setting. :D

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
I love it. Sometimes Fred acts just like a dog. He will come to me when I call him. Too funny.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
I've taken pictures. I need to post them - I just don't have internet at home! :(

but yes he does his "rounds" every day now!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Terriers can be tenacious.. Id be a little careful...
but love stories that show such personality in our critters.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
How cute.

Sir Percival is protecting his fair maiden from the foul beast on the other side of the fence! I think he deserves some flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.