Pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSnidr

10 Year Member!
I've had my Speedy since he was a hatchling (for about 13 years), but I've only recently started giving him pellets. I bought a bag of this kind of pellets, and he absolutely loves them! He actually picks them out from his regular food when I mix them together.

However, I searched it today, and noticed it's sometimes advised against pellets for testudo hermanni... Other places they say there's no problem, but I'm asking here to be sure - is this healthy for him? There is no mention of the pellets being unhealthy to any kinds of tortoises on their page, and one of the tortoises depicted on the back looks very much like Speedy's kind.
I'll stop giving him the pellets until I get a good answer. It's kinda sad really, finally finding his favourite food only to take it away

EDIT:
I see the problem is that it contains too much protein, making his shell grow too quickly. His shell is a little deformed already (from before I started giving him pellets), with the rear scutes bending upwards. Would the pellets accelerate this process? If so I'll burn them and throw their ashes in the sea.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I looked at the nutritional and its highlight is protein as being a big factor...I would not see offering it to your tort once a week or so...wait around and see what the others think that have this same species of tort :D my post will give your thread a BUMP...:p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They look like rabbit pellets packaged in a different bag. Personally I would not use these, if you want to use a packaged food mazuri is usually a good choice. Fast growth is not a bad thig in of itself, they grow slow and or fast in the wild depending on how much food they have access to. It is not a cause of pyramiding ( at least most keepers believe). I have tried mazuri myself with my 3 russians and they don't eat them as for hermanns there has been a hit or miss here on the forum regarding mazuri.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have no experience with that brand, so can't comment on it.

I do use Mazuri and find it to be great. I use it twice a week as sort of a supplement, to insure they are getting all the nutrients they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.