Pellets in diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hey everyone, sorry...this must be on here a hundred times but I did a search and I can't find my answer.

Should pellets be a part of a tortoise's diet and if so, how much? I've read care sheets that don't mention pellets and have read about their diet on here where people don't mention it but then I saw a care sheet with a picture of a tortoise with a soft flattened shell "because it was only given veggies and not pellets".

Oh, and the tortoise that I will be feeding is, I believe, 8 years old. If that means anything at all

Thank you for your help!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Pellets can form part of the diet. Most of us restrict to a couple of times a week at most. They're particularly useful in winter when the weed supply is poor

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I would recommend either the tortoise mazuri diet or the zoomed grassland tortoise food. At 8 years old there is no need to soak in water. Age is different than size but for an average sulcata for 8 years old I would feed 2-3 times a week a couple cups. I don't usually measure by cups as I have multiple torts and simply fill their containers. I agree though that depending on where you live, pellets are used more in the winter and less other seasons when more natural foods are readily available.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
Great, thank you. I will need to keep my eye out for those. I might need to go online though...if I do, which one do you prefer more?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
swimqt said:
Great, thank you. I will need to keep my eye out for those. I might need to go online though...if I do, which one do you prefer more?

I can't give a preference as these brands aren't available in my country... but I did see that mazuri.com is doing free shipping at the moment!

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
Ohh good find. I will be going to PETCO today and see what they have. Hopefully I won't need to always order it online.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
If you have an 8-yr old sulcata, it may cheaper in the long run to order online.

Mazuri.com and LLLReptile.com has it the cheapest.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
I was thinking about that after I posted. The containers they sell are usually pretty small. Thanks, I'll just do that.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm about to run out of my $12 1-lb bag of Mazuri. The 25-lb bag for 30-35 bucks just makes much more sense!

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
If you have a feed store nearby that deal with Purina they can order special order Mazuri for you. My local feed store charges $26 for a 25lb bag, the only downside it that it takes about 2 weeks to get it in.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
Good to know, thanks.

The prices are so ridiculously overpriced. Even a bag of hay at pet smart is 10 but if I go to a feed store, an entire bale is 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.