Paper towel substrate? Leopard hatchling

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Has anybody here before ever heard of or used paper towels dampened as substrate for their torts this was recommended to me by the breeder to try and get rid of her puffy eyes so I dumped out all her substrate and cleaned her enclosure and left damp paper towels at the bottom of her enclosure my question is the paper towels feel cold however they check 84 on my temp gun but I figured they were cold to the touch because maybe my hands are above 90 degrees and the 84 might feel cold I just don't want her to be cold and get respiratory problems even though my heat set higher then 84 also I did a carrot soak tonight to try and see if that helps her puffy eyes according to another TFO member any thoughts? Her humidities still high between 80 and 90 percent and she ate good tonight I feed her twice a day cuz she's such a little pig and always acts hungry which the breeder also said was fine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't do that. Its very likely your tortoise will eat the paper towels, and what is the point any way? Damp substrate of damp paper towels, it does the same thing. If you had dry dusty substrate, the paper towels might accomplish something.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
I wouldn't do that. Its very likely your tortoise will eat the paper towels, and what is the point any way? Damp substrate of damp paper towels, it does the same thing. If you had dry dusty substrate, the paper towels might accomplish something.
well it was just a suggestion by Randy to see if that help eliminating her puffy eye so I thought I would do that to help cover all bases plus since he raises them I just figured it was safe and he knows what he's talking about but then again I'm just taking a breeders word for it trusting what he's telling me

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Not sure who you breeder is but, not all breeders know how or do raise there babies correctly. Now, I am not saying this is the case here. Your best bet is to stick to the care sheets we have here on the forum. They were put together by many very experienced people that raise and breed torts for many years.
I think I order to help you, we need some information, what size is your enclosure, what are you using for lighting, food ect. For puffy eyes, most likely, it could be a lighting problem, as in the wrong lights effecting the eyes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Personally, I would listen to what Randy instructs you too do. He knows his stuff. I'd also try removing the UVB bulb for a few days and seeing if that makes a difference.

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Not sure who you breeder is but, not all breeders know how or do raise there babies correctly. Now, I am not saying this is the case here. Your best bet is to stick to the care sheets we have here on the forum. They were put together by many very experienced people that raise and breed torts for many years.
I think I order to help you, we need some information, what size is your enclosure, what are you using for lighting, food ect. For puffy eyes, most likely, it could be a lighting problem, as in the wrong lights effecting the eyes.
the breeder I got it from says that's how he raised his all his torts and has done so for many years also he says he knows how many successful breeders who do the same method and it is completely safe and he hasn't had any issues with them eating the paper the reason for doing this is because this is a sanitary way in case she had some issues with the substrate I had her on also this will raise the lights higher away from her I think they're at least 18 in and I'm using a T5 high output 24 in also the incandescent I'm using as a 75-watt pet store bulb which is probably no good for her basking bulb I'm going to try and get a standard 65 watt outdoor flood bulb like Tom uses

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
Personally, I would listen to what Randy instructs you too do. He knows his stuff. I'd also try removing the UVB bulb for a few days and seeing if that makes a difference.
yeah I'm going to get her a different basking bulb but as well since it's a 75-watt incandescent pet store bulb I don't think the T5 high output is hurting her but now it's up higher since I remove the substrate Randy said he's never had a problem with the paper towels and has raised many torts this way in fact she was started this way so I don't see it being an issue with her

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
hey Tom I picked up the bulb is this this the type of bulb you're talking about it's an outdoor flood bulb

Attachments

• 20200424_115924.jpg
    20200424_115924.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hey Tom I picked up the bulb is this this the type of bulb you're talking about it's an outdoor flood bulb
No. Halogens are more desiccating than standard incandescent flood bulbs.

Breeders also soak their babies once a week, keep them outside all day, or keep them inside on dry substrate. Few breeders start leopards or sulcatas correctly. Where is Randy? Last name start with an "L"?

Cleopatra 2020

El Mirage. Az
No. Halogens are more desiccating than standard incandescent flood bulbs.

Breeders also soak their babies once a week, keep them outside all day, or keep them inside on dry substrate. Few breeders start leopards or sulcatas correctly. Where is Randy? Last name start with an "L"?
not sure what his last name is but he keeps his on moist paper towels in an enclosed enclosure says it's safe and has been doing that a long time and that she was raised that way as well all I know is she would always have coconut coir all over her Limbs and head and in her shell but I'm starting to think that it's the light so I'm turning off the 75 what pet store bulb for a few days and see if she improves and if not I'll try the T 5 as well she was perfectly healthy when I got her a few weeks ago back on the 7th she eats like a pig twice a day and poops regularly every day and alot... LOL