pacing

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Queen Creek, Arizona
Hello friends,

Just a quick question. Is pacing tortoise normal? Baby Bowser has recently been pacing back and forth. This has just started in the last few days. Is this normal behavior or is there something he needs that I am not providing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Pacing is not normal. They wander in the wild. To small of an enclosure. Could be to warm as well.

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
Okay, I'm leaning torward to hot. I have a basking lamp and a ceramic lamp for night. The basking is a 60w bulb blunt temps get up to 100-110 under, my ceramic is 60w as well and it keep the night temp in the 90's. I have an enclosed tank and I think I need to lower the wattage now that the tank is enclosed. I do have two places for him to go to get cool, but he only goes inside them at night. He often sleeps under the basking light during the day.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
110 is to hot. They like it warm not hot 90, would be bettet

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
I currently have two enclosures for him one is 42" x 36" that is the outdoor enclosure. This time of summer he is only out there for a couple hours in the morning before it gets to hot. The indoor enclosure is 48" x 18". I posted a picture of his indoor enclosure.

Attachments

• Bowser6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 44

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
The problem is the glass tortoise don't understand glass so they think they can just walk pasted it put some duct ape around the tank and see if he still paces

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Charlie paces. He'll walk along the perimeter fence all the way to the end and back. He has the whole run of our backyard. It would be impossible for us to provide him a larger enclosure without moving. He usually paces in the evening before he goes to bed.