Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

brymanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
It kills me to post this, but I lost my two torties today, and I just want to make sure that no one else makes the same mistake I did. I took my torts outside for some sunshine and protein today and left them there for a couple hours to eat and digest. I thought since their optimum temperature range was 80-90 degrees they would be fine. My crucial error was that I forgot to give them shade (although they did have water) - something that I've always done in the past, and that it's gotten a lot hotter here in florida than I realized - I just looked and our high today was 97. When I went out to get them, they had died. I've been crying all day. I can't believe two simple mistakes cost me these beautiful precious lives. Please don't leave your torts outside without shade.

Please don't yell at me. I feel guilty enough as it is, both that I lost my babies and that I lost them in such a horrific way. I only wrote this just to warn people of a danger I wasn't even aware of....

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm sorry for your loss. It's understandable...EVERYONE makes mistakes. And don't be discouraged!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very very sorry for your loss, and that you had to learn this lesson the hardest way of all. Thank you for being brave and considerate enough to post about your experience, so that others may learn from it.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I am so sorry, I can't even imagine how hard it was to come home and find that :'( my thoughts are with you.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I would hope that no TFO member would be so heartless to yell at you. We all have done things and in retrospect wish we had known. I am so sorry for your loss and please try and forgive yourself. I hope your message reaches someone that might not know the importance of shade.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know that you feel terrible, Brymanda. We've all done something that badly affected our turtles or tortoises. Thank you for sharing this warning with us. I'm so, so very sorry for your loss.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
That's very sad and my heart goes out to you....it's an all too frequent story when the weather gets hot....

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think we all err towards the extreme at one time or another. I know when I offer advice I always stress heat, humidity and hydration. But I rarely mention shade...because I feel it's a given! You have taught me a great lesson as well...BE THOROUGH WHEN GIVING ADVICE! I am so sorry for your loss!:tort:

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I really appreciate your effort to remind us all of the dangers of the heat. So sorry you lost your torts.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think you did a very brave thing sharing this with others so that they can learn. We have all been there, I'm sure. I'm so sorry for the loss of your little pets.

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Thank you for the warning Maam.I wont leave my girl outside without shade.Sorry for you Torts.Hope you feel better soon.

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I am so very sorry for your losses. Thank you for having the gumption to remind us all about something that is easily forgotten.

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
I feel with you. :(
We all do mistakes, but I'm sorry this happened to you!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I am so sorry for your loss. Being in Texas where we have had several 100+ days, this is Great Reminder to ME. I hope that you find the strength and courage to put this in the past and start over. We all make mistakes, some of our life lessons are just tougher than others. Bless you and thank you for posting.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for posting this in an effort to help others.

I too offer condolences on your sad loss, but DO remember that you are NOT the first person in the world to make a mistake like this. I have also done it in the past and so have many others.
...if only we could turn back the hands of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.