Outside in December!! Pic Heavy

Scm133

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calera, Alabama
Thanks for the compliments! I give all the credit for a smooth shell to this forum...he has been raised warm, with 80% humidity. However, I do see the top three sections, looking more raised. What do you think?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Mine are doing the same thing. I keep all at high humidity and soak regularly and there is still a bit of that in three of the nine. I don't get it.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Saleama said:
Mine are doing the same thing. I keep all at high humidity and soak regularly and there is still a bit of that in three of the nine. I don't get it.
I am not sure if it is early signs of pyramiding, or normal growth. He is 3 months old now. I also soak him 30 mins every day.

mitchsulcata

Massachusetts
The front three are being raised usually by high protein or to much soaking. If the poop is wet then your soaking to much. if the poop is not grassy its to much protein. the raise of the chutes will pull the chutes in the back of the shell and will cause a saddle look. My brother in law saved one like this from a bad environment.

I see a lot on soaking that is mixed research, so I take a more natural approach and let the tortoise decide. i keep a shallow dish in my tank and if the tortoise is dehydrated he will drink.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mitchsulcata said:
The front three are being raised usually by high protein or to much soaking. If the poop is wet then your soaking to much. if the poop is not grassy its to much protein. the raise of the chutes will pull the chutes in the back of the shell and will cause a saddle look. My brother in law saved one like this from a bad environment.

I see a lot on soaking that is mixed research, so I take a more natural approach and let the tortoise decide. i keep a shallow dish in my tank and if the tortoise is dehydrated he will drink.

This goes against everything we have recently learned about pyramiding, protein and moisture. Do you have actual science to share with us, or are you just repeating what you've been told?

Sinyo

5 Year Member
mitchsulcata said:

like yvonne said, it against everything we learned in this forum
are you sure too much soaking can cause pyramiding on sulcata?
i soak my baby every day in the morning

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
mitchsulcata said:

Well, it can not be from High protein, Milo only gets spring mix, dandelions, grass, and other greens with occasional mazuri. I soak him daily, however. His poops by the way are firm, and grassy. Can you post a picture of your sully? NOW, I am REALLY confused.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Scm133 said:
Thanks for the compliments! I give all the credit for a smooth shell to this forum...he has been raised warm, with 80% humidity. However, I do see the top three sections, looking more raised. What do you think?

From my experience, these are the scutes that are most likely to get overheated and dried out from the basking light (or other overhead heat source). The humidity in your enclosure may be 90%, but near the heat sources it could be much less. Check your temps under the light at a level that would be the same as the top of your tortoises shell. You may need to spray the shell with water several times a day to mitigate the drying effects. Some members have used automatic misters or foggers in their enclosure with pretty good success. Keep soaking and keep the humidity up.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Okay, I don't like what that guy is saying. He is causing a lot of confusion.

It is advised that you soak your tortoise, especially babies. It will NOT cause pyramiding if anything it helps prevent. As babies a sulcatas shell is very porous and somewhat spongey. This is a natural way for them to get extra moisture and like Tom always says they hatch in the rainy season meaning they are almost constantly swamped with water. The top 3 scutes may have more of a raised appearance because that is generally the first place to dry.

As for the protein part they need just a little and it can be achieved by giving them peas, alfalfa, or mazuri. In the wild they eat predators poo (hints why some eat dog poo) and protein is essential for proper growth. Sulcatas need a high fiber low protein diet. Key word low, not completely gone.

mitchsulcata

Massachusetts
Well I was reading about soaking and general hydration and it was talking about people over hydrating their animal and it would let the food go through the digestive system to quickly. This wouldn't allow the tortoise to absorb the nutrients. That is why I asked if the poop was wet and mushy. I am new to this hobby and forum so I am definitely still learning.

Scm133

5 Year Member
Calera, Alabama
Dizisdalife said:
Scm133 said:

From my experience, these are the scutes that are most likely to get overheated and dried out from the basking light (or other overhead heat source). The humidity in your enclosure may be 90%, but near the heat sources it could be much less. Check your temps under the light at a level that would be the same as the top of your tortoises shell. You may need to spray the shell with water several times a day to mitigate the drying effects. Some members have used automatic misters or foggers in their enclosure with pretty good success. Keep soaking and keep the humidity up.
Thanks...will do!!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
mitchsulcata said:
Well I was reading about soaking and general hydration and it was talking about people over hydrating their animal and it would let the food go through the digestive system to quickly. This wouldn't allow the tortoise to absorb the nutrients. That is why I asked if the poop was wet and mushy. I am new to this hobby and forum so I am definitely still learning.
I am glad you weren't offended. We are all still learning. There is some concern that soaking a tortoise too much might interfere with proper digestion. I have read that too. Personally, I have not seen it. And I am one that soaked my tortoise every day. Sometimes twice a day. Between soaking my baby sulcata would hang out in his water dish, soaking himself for hours. I have seen wet, runny, and mushy poop. Generally it happened when I was first introducing him to opuntia cactus. Or, even today if I over feed him opuntia. Also, when I was feeding a lot of re-hydrated timothy hay pellets. In that case I believe it was just too much moisture in his food. Fruit in the diet can also cause loose stools. I try to avoid feeding fruit.