outside enclosures and humidity.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcwms90

5 Year Member
ok this may be a dumb question for the tortoise pros lol but idk im getting a red foot soon an im gonna build a big outdoor enclosure for it. an i was wondering since humidity is so important in an indoor enclosure. that maybe its important for an outdoor one. lol if so how do i do this lol. ive never had a tort so this may be a crazy question lol i just wanna know for sure

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hi,

Where did you live. That way they pro's can help best by knowing what type of humidity you have.

rcwms90

5 Year Member
i live in baton rouge,la i just searched an found out that my city is number 46 out of 101 top cities with highest humidity with the average of 76%

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
rcwms90 said:
i live in baton rouge,la i just searched an found out that my city is number 46 out of 101 top cities with highest humidity with the average of 76%

I'd bet that Baton Rouge is probably humid enough, but you could rig up a solar-powered water pump (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garde...nd-Water-Pump/4318043/product.html?cid=123620) and build a waterfall into it's water area, thus creating a bit more humidity in that secftion of your redfoot's enclosure...I can't recall who built a waterfall for her redfoots (it might've been TerryO), but I'm thinking there are some excellent photos in the Enclosures section of this site.

Basically, a much smaller version of this:

DSCI0083.jpg

I'm building one for my daughter's Ornate box turtles' (who also prefer a bit higher humidity than Northwest Texas offers) enclosure this coming winter.

Turn out that it's Kristina that made the cool waterfall...TerryO has a lot of great ideas for absolute beautiful enclosures, as well, though.

KristinasPictures3593.jpg

Both ladies are our "Martha Stewarts". :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Reggi:

You are going to need lots of plants in the outdoor habitat - for protection, hiding and humidity. When you water the plants, it provides all the humidity required for the tortoise.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am no expert, but I know that plenty of plants, will hold in the humidity too. I got rid of the waterfall because a few times I found Pio sitting on the top section and I was worried that she would fall. Now she just has a little pond. I live on an Island, and it's always humid here, but I usually hose down the garden every day anyway. I also use a lot of ground covers, because I notice this keeps up the humidity too. I am a big believer in lots of plants for any tortoise garden or turtle garden because it just about keeps everything on track.
I love this silly face......I have a little tree in the garden, that I keep small, and sometimes she'll sit under it in the shade for a while.
029-18.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.