Outdoor Hut

EddieMaher

Location (City and/or State)
MD
House will have a che with a thermostat. Would you trust it enough to close the door? Was thinking of either leaving it open or using another thermostat as backup.
1709427731691.png

EddieMaher

MD
Do you have measurements for this?
20L x 12W x 26T

It will be in the backyard 20x6 once temps are correct. This will be for him to sleep and warm up whenever he wants. Not an enclosure.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
20L x 12W x 26T

It will be in the backyard 20x6 once temps are correct. This will be for him to sleep and warm up whenever he wants. Not an enclosure.
I think for the houses most people put the mini oil filled radiator style heaters and/or the wall panel heaters

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For really cold days and nights and winter? No, not big enough to stay in for long periods.
As a spring or fall and summer house it would work if big enough for your tortoise.
Should always be locked up at night in a safe hide if outside.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What is your tortoise's size?

EddieMaher

MD
Other than the size being too small for an adult Redfoot to be able to turn around in, this design would work here in south Florida. But it'll need to be insulated in Maryland. And probably have an actual door.
House has a door and insulated with a metal roof. Inside the roof there’s a bulb receptacle with a temp sensor/thermostat. I plan on using a che.

My fear is that my tortoise will have no where to go if that thermostat fails with a closed door. I’m gonna use a second thermostat as a fail safe1709496002904.jpeg1709496073520.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My CHE in my night houses aren't on a thermostat. (50 watts)
The houses never get hot. They just take 10 to 15 degrees off of the outside temp.
I block the doors with a cement block at night.
This is just what works for me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
House has a door and insulated with a metal roof. Inside the roof there’s a bulb receptacle with a temp sensor/thermostat. I plan on using a che.

My fear is that my tortoise will have no where to go if that thermostat fails with a closed door. I’m gonna use a second thermostat as a fail safeView attachment 367286View attachment 367287
The door should only be closed at night. If the thermostat failed, where would she have to go but outside where it's colder and possibly wet? That's death.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@ZEROPILOT at 4 inches shouldn't the tortoise still be in a closed chamber until much bigger?
I know leopards and Sulcatas shouldn't be outside 24/7 until at least 10 inches.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@ZEROPILOT at 4 inches shouldn't the tortoise still be in a closed chamber until much bigger?
I know leopards and Sulcatas shouldn't be outside 24/7 until at least 10 inches.
Yes.
Many members with more small tortoise experience than myself advocate this. And I agree.
Too much can happen to a tiny tortoise. In captivity the success rate can be almost 100%. That's because in nature there's no one looking out for them.
I only keep adult and sub adult RF