Outdoor Heated House

Oogway the russian tort

So I'm making a outdoor enclosure for 3 Russian tortoises in southern California and was wondering if I you guys can give me some ideas on making, insulating, and heating. Than you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Oogway the russian tort

Defiantly looking into the ground one but how would you heat it in thw winter since its been alot colder these past few years down to almost 30s at night

Oogway the russian tort

Do you think i coukd put this on the lid to act as a heater or no or maybe those fish heaters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180222-110742.png
    Screenshot_20180222-110742.png
    474.6 KB · Views: 22

Oogway the russian tort

How did you extend your electricity to power all the stuff since this is gonna pretty far from any power source and i cant really dig wires underneath to the house because the is concrete in the way. Would like a modded car battery perhaps work???

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How did you extend your electricity to power all the stuff since this is gonna pretty far from any power source and i cant really dig wires underneath to the house because the is concrete in the way. Would like a modded car battery perhaps work???
Battery won't work. You need to figure out how to run power to the area where you need it one way or another. I paid an electrician to come run conduit and set up some outdoor outlets where I needed them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How much was that about?
I really don't remember. I had to run about 100' and put up four outlets. I think all of that was around $500.

If money is an issue, you can do this with a good extension cord. Its not the best way to do it, but it can work until you save up the money to do something better.

Oogway the russian tort

I really don't remember. I had to run about 100' and put up four outlets. I think all of that was around $500.

If money is an issue, you can do this with a good extension cord. Its not the best way to do it, but it can work until you save up the money to do something better.[/QUOTEif I did the extension cord wouldn't brake from the weather li,ke rain and such

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If money is an issue, you can do this with a good extension cord. Its not the best way to do it, but it can work until you save up the money to do something better.

I fit in this category currently myself. The extension cord I currently use is the most heavy duty one I could find in my wallet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It must be done sensibly, but rain shouldn't affect the cord.

Have the cord run along walls, behind bushes, in out of the way areas, and out of tortoise reach. Have one cord long enough to go the entire length, so there are no "joints" along the way. Use a "drip loop" as it goes into the box and wherever it is plugged in. Use as heavy duty of a core as you can afford. Get at least 14 gauge wire, and preferably 12 gauge.

Oogway the russian tort

and would the tortoises know to go inside the hide when they are cold/when it's cold. Or will I have to trap them when ever the weather seems to cold/rainy