outdoor enclosure secure bottom

Nicole74

Location (City and/or State)
Central Alabama
I am continuing to work on my outdoor enclosure plan. I curious what people are using to seal the bottom of large enclosures. A 12x12 paver is about 1.20 here which could get rather pricey but as I'm not in a hurry they can be bought over time to lessen the blow on our wallet if they are the best option.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Nicole 74. Not all tortoises dig. For example, I have over 400 square feet of pavers about 6-8" deep under my Redfoot pen. It was 100% for no reason.
And of the digging type I don't think that most dig out. They just dig in, turn around and come back out.
What is it that you are trying to accomplish?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just build fences. For the desert, Texas, Russians, Sulcata, Aldabran, YF, RF, Manouria and leopard tortoises the fences sit right on top of the ground. For the box turtles, the fences are dug down about 4" into the ground, but after living with them for a few years I realized there was no need to have dug their fences down either. None of my animals try to dig out under the fence.

Now, if there's a spot along the bottom of the fence where light shows through, it's a whole 'nother ballgame. If a tortoise can see daylight under the fence, he will try to dig at that spot.

Nicole74

Central Alabama
I've seen conflicting reports on tortoise digging out and we tend to over secure things as the unlikely usually happens to us. If it really isn't needed we will move on to figure out the most secure and somewhat aesthetically pleasing fencing to use.

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally believe if the tort is well cared for and likes his yard, he won't dig out. None of the torts or turtles I've had dug. Even the destructive and inquisitive Bob didn't dig. His shed was cool in the summer and warm winter and he thought it was his burrow. BUT...they're all different. Tomorrow one that has never dug will dig out, I can see it coming...:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've seen conflicting reports on tortoise digging out and we tend to over secure things as the unlikely usually happens to us. If it really isn't needed we will move on to figure out the most secure and somewhat aesthetically pleasing fencing to use.

What species and what size tortoise are we talking about?

Nicole74

Central Alabama
What species and what size tortoise are we talking about?
We plan to take in a tortoise that needs adopted/rescued so we are not sure what size/age. Russians & red foots do well & are common here, so we will be prepared for both.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Rest assured that Redfoot don't dig. They make depressions, but not very large or deep.
I have about $500 in burried paver bricks in my yard under my tortoise pens. I should have asked first and saved the money!:rolleyes:
From what I know about Russians. Granted it isn't much. I don't believe that they are big on digging either.
save your money for tortoises.