Outdoor Eating Questions

TCZaro

Location (City and/or State)
New England
Hello everybody, I have some questions about tortoises that I would like to clear up before getting one. The questions mainly pertain to outdoor enclosures/plants. Hopefully my tortoise will be able to spend a couple of months in the year eating solely outdoor grown plants (grasses,flowers,grape leaves), but I wonder if this could lead to sickness/disease in my tort. I have no fertilizers in my yard, but my tort could still ingest bacteria from fecal matter/ dirty plants. Do people here suggest constant vet checkups to make sure my tort has zero parasites, or is there little to no risk in having my tortoise eat outside? Thanks for your time and consideration!

TCZaro

New England
One thing you need to look for is harmful things they could eat- some mushrooms, nightshade to name a couple. It will be imortant for you to know and be able to I.d what he will have access to.
Here is a websie that is pretty helpful
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp
Thank you, I do have some mushroom problems in my yard, thanks for bringing this to my attention, and thanks for the list!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings TZ, i think if you read in the outdoor enclosures section here that many folks keep their torts in outdoor pens/enclosures year round where they are exposed to everything 24/7 x 365. Torts in the wild, same thing. Unless you are aware of any hazardous or toxic plants or substances, I'll venture to say you and your tort will be fine.

TCZaro

New England
Greetings TZ, i think if you read in the outdoor enclosures section here that many folks keep their torts in outdoor pens/enclosures year round where they are exposed to everything 24/7 x 365. Torts in the wild, same thing. Unless you are aware of any hazardous or toxic plants or substances, I'll venture to say you and your tort will be fine.
Ok, thanks Maro, I will have to check my yard to make sure there is no harmful plants then Ill be good to go!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411912358.057206.jpg
The majority of us build enclosures where they can roam freely. We keep their enclosures pretty clear of inedible, toxic plants.

My torts have individual preferences for food, so I keep a variety of things that they like. My enclosure is an old veggie box. My dogs don't go in it, so it stays clean.

My guys don't spend the night outside, as there are racoons and stray cats in the neighbourhood. I'd be too worried about leaving them outside, unattended, even if I were to racoon-proof the enclosures. (Yeah, I'm just a bit paranoid. :D )

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
View attachment 97686
The majority of us build enclosures where they can roam freely. We keep their enclosures pretty clear of inedible, toxic plants.

My torts have individual preferences for food, so I keep a variety of things that they like. My enclosure is an old veggie box. My dogs don't go in it, so it stays clean.

My guys don't spend the night outside, as there are racoons and stray cats in the neighbourhood. I'd be too worried about leaving them outside, unattended, even if I were to racoon-proof the enclosures. (Yeah, I'm just a bit paranoid. :D )

May
Is that basil in you enclosure??
Never even thought of herbs!! :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I have to constantly weed the yard, because my sulcata will eat anything! It is kind of a pain, and I know I miss stuff :(... It's much easier to weed a smaller space for a smaller tort! One time I saw bird poop on a leaf, but I just threw it out :)

TCZaro

New England
View attachment 97686

May
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will try something similar.