optunia pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
just thought i would pass on this info and early morning score.my son had an ice hockey game in downtown poughkeepsi n.y. this morning.as im driving downtown i entered a heavly populated mexican area.i stoped at a mexican food store and as i walked in there was a big box of optunia pads on the floor.ok,,i just saw 7 pounds on the internet for 30.00,,,,ha ha.i picked up 2 pounds for under 2.00.....i came home and my torts love em.so check out those mexican food stores ,,,,,if you happen to be in the area.......

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I saw them at the Mexican food store near my house but they never look fresh! They look old and wilted :(

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have no problem finding them at grocery stores near me. If you find them wilted, you may ask when they receive deliveries, or else try a different store. They need to be kept dry or else they get icky fast. When I store a pad in the fridge I will wrap it in paper towels and put it in a plastic bag, changing the paper towels daily or as needed to keep it dry. I can chop up a few days worth at a time and put it in a container and it keeps ok.

S

Scooter

I found some pads at a farmers market in town for a great price. My question is, is there an easy way to cut off the spines? I just stood in the kitchen for what seemed like forever meticulously cutting off all the spines and only got one done lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can hold the pad over an open flame and singe them off.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
fel1958 said:
i picked up 2 pounds for under 2.00.....i came home and my torts love em.so check out those mexican food stores

LOL, you totally over paid.

Keep in mind, there's some bad stories floating around about the cactus pads that are sold at local Mexican food stores. I'm not going to elaborate, but there's reasons not to use those ones. Much better are ones grown within the US from private people.

S

Scooter

I saw a post of someone one here selling them, though I can't remember who it is.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
His prices...

3 lbs. in small box plus $5 to ship = $8 shipped!
10 lbs. in med box plus $10 to ship = $20 shipped!
15 lbs. in large box plus $15 to ship = $30 shipped!

I will match those prices. I will also include your choice of some Mazuri or a sticker with every order! Just let me know which one you want.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
spikethebest said:
His prices...

3 lbs. in small box plus $5 to ship = $8 shipped!
10 lbs. in med box plus $10 to ship = $20 shipped!
15 lbs. in large box plus $15 to ship = $30 shipped!

I will match those prices. I will also include your choice of some Mazuri or a sticker with every order! Just let me know which one you want.

I prefer to do business with you, but I thought you did not have pads without prickers. Do you? I hate the prickers!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Thank you for that. all my cactus has prickers, so I slice them off. so I can't sell them for the same price. Sorry.

fel1958

10 Year Member!
tri states-pa.,n.y.,n.j.
bettinge said:
I bought some from this guy. NO PRICKERS! The pads are large and very nice! I would buy from him again!

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164123

yes this seems to be the better quality and price so far for mail order.i have ordered from him before.very nice to deal with.

TylerStewart said:
fel1958 said:
i picked up 2 pounds for under 2.00.....i came home and my torts love em.so check out those mexican food stores

LOL, you totally over paid.

Keep in mind, there's some bad stories floating around about the cactus pads that are sold at local Mexican food stores. I'm not going to elaborate, but there's reasons not to use those ones. Much better are ones grown within the US from private people.

the bad stories i would like to hear.his prices are high with shipping.i can beat his mazuri prices any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.