Opinions on Bearded Dragons?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Thinking about getting one...read all about them, but would like some
first hand' advice. Anybody here with a lizard companion?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I keep lizards as pets. Almost 4 months ago a teenage boy surrendered his bearded dragon to me as he no longer wanted him. It is the first time I've owned a beardie as they have never interested me before. But he is a cool little guy. And FYI, he is up for adoption now that he has put on weight. Not sure where in Ohio you are though.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
North East Ohio :D Is he very friendly?
Looking for a baby though, watch him grow... raise the little guy. Something that grows a little faster than torts :D Know any breeders around here? Haven't had any luck, Seems an obscure thing to find!

Flipper

MO, USA
Yeah, I hear you, but I guess these roaches are super nutritious. She buys one meals worth when she buys the crickets... Kinda like a snack :eek:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Maybe I'll have to look into roaches o_O wouldn't be my first choice though! kind of yuh... I know you can breed bugs for feeding, but it sounds tricky!

Flipper

MO, USA
Evidently, when they sell the roaches in the pet store they are the same sex. So, if they get lose in your house they won't breed and turn into a roach sanctuary :(:confused:o_O

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Bearded dragons make excellent pets. Easy to take care of and excel t for the beginner or the advanced. Also great for children as well.
I have been breeding them for about 15 years.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Lance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great lizards. Stinky poops though.

Roaches are better than crickets in every way conceivable. I don't know why anybody messes with crickets any more.

My favorite lizards as pets are the blue tongue skinks. Check out Northerns. Very cool personalities.

TXTortOwner

5 Year Member
I love our bearded dragon, Elaroo. We've had him for almost 2 years now and they are a lot of fun to watch grow, but take A LOT OF FOOD in the beginning. I also highly recommend the roach colony for the long term, and I'm still not a huge fan of roaches. They smell less, are quieter, escape less, and are all around easier than crickets.
Bathtime 1.jpg

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Great lizards. Stinky poops though.

Roaches are better than crickets in every way conceivable. I don't know why anybody messes with crickets any more.

My favorite lizards as pets are the blue tongue skinks. Check out Northerns. Very cool personalities.
I love skinks, my friend once caught one and I've seen them in the desert :D Also I touched one that was caught from the desert, they love burrowing and are really fast!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Evidently, when they sell the roaches in the pet store they are the same sex. So, if they get lose in your house they won't breed and turn into a roach sanctuary :(:confused:o_O
That's actuall good of them, as I'm sure I'll be accidentally 'releasing' a few :oops:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
@Tom, thought about skinks at first... but I think a want an 'easy' lizard for the first itme :D I have heard their poops are stink? Anything I could do about that?