On a scale from 1-10 rarest tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
USA
On a scale from 1-10 and 1 being the rarest tortoise can someone tell me the rarest tortoise.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Perfectly smooth captive bred leopard babcocki.

Reactions: Dan

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its going to be a bit subjective, but padlopers and ploughshares would have to be among the rarest.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
are we talking numbers? or in the pet trade? I would say lonesome george last one of his kind, also I believe that chinese turtle that layed infertile eggs recently, very few left.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:
are we talking numbers? or in the pet trade? I would say lonesome george last one of his kind, also I believe that chinese turtle that layed infertile eggs recently, very few left.

I read something in the Tortuga Gazette, that said George in NOT the last of his kind and is in fact genetically related to the torts from the Southern part of the range, and that he was transplanted by man many years ago to that part of the island. That's why he's not able to reproduce with an of the females from the area where they found him. There were plans to introduce him to females from the Southern portion of the range, where he's originally from, but I haven't heard anything since the article.

mike1011

5 Year Member
It would definetly be the tort that doesnt bring joy and a sense of accomplishment watching it to its caregiver!

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I don't get what the scale means. Are you looking for the rarest tortoise or for us to rate some of the more rare tortoises? If you just want the rarest, then wouldn't it always be a 10 on a scale of rarity?

I'm confused.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Don't forget the Mascarene tortoises, some of which are suspected to survive in far flung zoos and private collections...

ForestExotics

10 Year Member!
USA
Let's go with something like

1- Rarest specie
2- Under that
3- and so on

Status
Not open for further replies.