Oliver Redfoot's First Enclosure using an old rabbit cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiogalaxy007

5 Year Member
Hello Everyone.

I am a new tort owner (although I have experience with other herps and exotics). I recently finished putting together my first enclosure using an old rabbit cage I had in the garage, and I wanted to see what everyone thinks!

I live in Boise, Idaho which is not known for its humidity, so that is the biggest challenge for me. I have surrounded this cage with coroplast, with a sheet of plexi for the front. The top has different shapes of coroplast cut to accommodate the lighting. The lighting is a 125-watt Exo-Terra MVB, and a 100watt infrared for night use. The humidifier sits on the ground, and is piped in through the side of the cage (you can see the pipe in one of the pictures). The substrate is coconut fibers.

Oliver has a hide that we purchased for him (which is currently positioned next to the humidifier outlet, but he prefers to sleep under the ramp in the cage.

It was a challenge to get him to eat at first, but I found a system that works great for him: as soon as his main light turns off and his night light turns on - I take him from his sleeping spot, spray him down and offer him food. I think he likes being fed in the evening, after his light has been turned off. He is currently eating turnip greens, spring mix, yellow squash and a little strawberry.

I have decent woodworking skills, so I will be designing and building a much more elaborate setup in the future, but I predict this setup will last him about a year. (I will be posting more threads in the future for help designing his permanent enclosure)

Attachments

• 20120224_143306.jpg
    20120224_143306.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 20120224_143256.jpg
    20120224_143256.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20120224_143220.jpg
    20120224_143220.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20120224_143205.jpg
    20120224_143205.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 124

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hello there Audiogalaxy007:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Your new habitat looks great. I only have one thing you might want to address (or not): And that's the lights. They seem pretty high up. Most of the light mfgs recommend about 12" above the substrate.

Audiogalaxy007

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hello there Audiogalaxy007:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Your new habitat looks great. I only have one thing you might want to address (or not): And that's the lights. They seem pretty high up. Most of the light mfgs recommend about 12" above the substrate.

You can call me Christian, thanks for asking. Regarding your concern about the lights, I have them on an adjustable pole (a microphone stand, as a matter of fact) that I can raise and lower as needed. I originally had the lights much closer to the substrate, but I was finding that the temps were getting too high that way, so I raised them up. Right now, the enclosure is in the 80's when the humidifier is off, and closer to 90 when the humidifier is running.

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Glad to hear you have a humidifier...that was my first question when I looked at the enclosure
(how are you keeping humidity up?)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I think this looks good too! You may consider adding some fake or real plants in as a more natural cover? The only other thing I noticed was the ramp to the second floor, it might be difficult for your tort to gain good traction on that coroplast. A piece of wood covering the wire might work a bit better?

Nice work!

Audiogalaxy007

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
I think this looks good too! You may consider adding some fake or real plants in as a more natural cover? The only other thing I noticed was the ramp to the second floor, it might be difficult for your tort to gain good traction on that coroplast. A piece of wood covering the wire might work a bit better?

Nice work!

I do plan to add some more visual stimulation and cover for him. The ramp and second floor are actually covered in black rubber, and he can not climb the ramp as it is (he has tried). I might mess with it in the future, but for now he likes hiding under the ramp a lot!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
you can even wrap up the cage, to keep humidity up.
large trash pages, or some kind of plastic lining :)

Audiogalaxy007

5 Year Member
Jacob said:
you can even wrap up the cage, to keep humidity up.
large trash pages, or some kind of plastic lining :)

This enclosure currently has corrugated plastic on the top and sides, and a plexiglass front. So humidity seems to be pretty good for now (although I have yet to measure it with a hygrometer - still looking for a decently accurate/reasonably priced one.

Status
Not open for further replies.