off on the wrong foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
it's hard to read tones on your computer screen. as far as i know everyone's on here to help you, and give out personal opinions and advice on their own experiences with their torts... if you think someone's being snotty, pm them. chances are they'll apologize and say they didn't mean it. or if they did mean it, everyone else who's reading it thinks it's snotty too. just remember, we're here for the torts, not to single out one person in particular to step on your toes. i haven't read any of your posts so i don't know what's going on, but just think about how much fun it is to post pictures of your precious babies and have them be "oohed and aaahd" over.

i personally would still be feeding my baby sulcatas a hay salad mix and keeping them on calcium sand (as per instructions of the pet store) if i hadn't read other posts and taken some other's advice and opinions. and i wouldn't know how much fun it is to watch a pumpkin-encrusted sulcata face wander around nosing for more food, cause i wouldn't know they could eat pumpkin.

AND i wouldn't have my precious tiny baby spider tortoises!!!!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
I'll be completely honest. When someone asks for help, and I give my opinion, and they argue with it, I am done. I love to help people. I have been taking care of chelonians for over 17 years. But I have a full time job, two children, a husband, and literally hundreds of animals to care for. If you need help, I will give it to you. But if you already think you know the answer, please do not waste my time.

I get frustrated when people cite Misty Corton and Melissa Caplan to me (especially when they are saying that I am wrong) because although both of those women were major pioneers in tortoise care, neither has posted updated information in MANY years. There are advances in everything, not just tortoises. If a doctor suggested a treatment, would you say, "Oh no! You are wrong because back in the Middle Ages, they treated this problem like THIS..." I think not. It is the same with tortoise care. What was generally accepted 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago is now being shown to be incorrect.

I have spoken to both Misty and Melissa personally on multiple occasions, I want to be clear, and love and respect both of them. The only thing I have to say is that while their research stopped some time ago, mine and the others on the forum continued to improve and advance. A lot of us have been doing this for a LONG time. I think that it is silly to think that discrediting our hard work and experience would be taken lightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.