occasional mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
i was wondering if any of you guys had a similar issue. every once in a while there's white hairy mold that's starts to grow under the water bowl or heating rock. I check every few days and this has only happened three times. but still, it can't be good. I think it's from the moisture in the substrate. I use peat moss. I was thinking of just growing grass and making that his substrate. any ideas?

EKLC

5 Year Member
I put a shallow layer of coir over mold prone areas. Coir is pretty mold resistant

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I use coco coir mainly, but I do throw Timothy hay in also cause Cooper likes to eat it. But once it gets wet the hay will start to mold. I always get the moldy hay out right away and give him fresh hay. Good luck to you! :)

TheCobbler

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
thanks guys. any idea where I can locally get coco coir? do they sell it at lowes or home debot?

EKLC

5 Year Member
If they have it, its in the gardening section. Some plants need sterile medium to germinate in. reptile shops and chain pet stores also have it. You buy it in a brick then soak it in water to expand

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
As far as growing grass for the substrate, I do this as well but not for the entire encloser. Me personally would only do it for part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.