Now I'm worried...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh
Now we're on day four, I still haven't seen Dom defecate. He didn't eat much this morning either. I'm really hoping this isn't something major like constipation or a stone...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tortoise has not yet had time to settle properly. Four days is the blink of an eye... they can, and often do, take weeks to adjust to new surroundings and new people.

You can help your tort to adjust by doing the following:

Check those temperatures again! Under the basking lamp, cool end, warm end and the overnight minimum. If the heat is wrong, your tort cannot be active.

Put the lights and heat on a timer if you haven't already. The sun goes through a regular cycle of sunrise and sunset times giving an average 12-14 period of daylight. You are trying to mimic the same.

Get into a routine: In the morning have lights on, heat, wait an hour, soak your tortoise and then feed. The routine means your tort will learn what to expect and when... it helps to reduce stress. The soak means you are handling him a little so he gets used to you and knows you mean no harm... it also keeps him hydrated which is especially important while he's small and not eating properly.

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

Finally don't stand over him watching all the time. It's very intimidating. Outside feeds times, leave food that he can browse on if he gets brave and fancies a nibble - supermarket living lettuce in a tray is ideal as it has the advantage of not going limp as long as you remember to water it!

Your tort will be fine... and so will you :)

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
He actually did eat after I posted, thankfully. And so far I've been soaking him first thing in the morning, but I can turn on the light and wait awhile instead. I plan on getting a timer on payday; it hasn't been a problem turning on the light between 6 and 8 every morning and being home every night to turn it off around 10, but I might not always come home at night. Besides that, you're right, I should probably just relax and let him adjust.

EDIT: Temps are at 105 on the hot end, and 80 on the cool. I honestly haven't checked nighttime temps, but I have my space heater on when it's cold at night.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Even with an old timer like Joe, you never completely relax! I'm very good at telling people not to panic and then stressing about Joe even now....

If I can't switch off, what hope do newer keepers have! :D

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Aww that sucks. Dom goes in and out of his hide, but seems to prefer burrowing when he wants to be alone.

HtVic

5 Year Member
yea..
Star doesnt seem burrow alot,
I will leave foods there, wait for a couple days, strange thing tho, he always active 5pm-7pm...dont know why

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
OK he's pooing now. I wish it'd be while soaking and not in the substrate, but at least he's going.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Other than potty training a child, I believe this is the only other occasion were we get excited over poop! Most animals do not have this sort of problem (from the experience I have with my animals). Glad to ready good news!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
I have seen way too many keepers worry about pooping. They will poop when they need to, sometimes during a soak, sometimes not. I have a rescue Indian Star that the previous keeper hauled to the vet numerous times because he wasn't pooping daily. The vet never found anything wrong. She finally gave up on him and now I have him. There was never anything wrong with the tortoise. He is an Indian Star, he likes to be left alone. He likes his weekly soaks and usually poops once a week but not always. He has gained nearly 100 grams since we got him last December.
If you ever have any questions about your tortoise, look at his patterns. Obviously this will take time. They will get in to a routine. If they start to deviate much from that routine and there are signs of lethargy, weight loss, lack of appetite, then you need to get worried. Keep his temps correct, soak him daily, feed him a varied diet with proper supplements of vitamins, calcium with Vitamin D3 and he will grow like a weed!!

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
Makes sense. My whole thing is that Domino isn't just my first tortoise, he's my first pet that's entirely my own, so I find myself paranoid over every little thing lol

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Glasswalker said:
Makes sense. My whole thing is that Domino isn't just my first tortoise, he's my first pet that's entirely my own, so I find myself paranoid over every little thing lol

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being aware of every little detail. I commend you on that!!! You will be successful if you keep it up. You will pick up on the slightest deviations from his routine.

Status
Not open for further replies.