Not acting right

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
My golden greek tortoise hasn't been acting right the last few days. My vet cant see him til Thursday. Im hoping maybe someone here can give me
some advice til then.

He is in natural sunlight for about 7 hours a day since the temps have reached high 80's.

His diet is well rounded with green leaf lettuce, dandelion, fresh strawberry plants and others.

His tank has a uvb and heated section and everything is at the right abd temp water always available.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:

His eyes have been somewhat puffy and he doesnt want to open to them at all unless I pick him up and keep him active. Their not watery or too dry. I can see clearly through his nostrils their not clogged or anything. He seems lethargic and doesnt wanna roam around the yard like usual. Im most worried about the eyes.....Any ideas?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your not using a coil type bulb are you? If so, get rid of it, they have been known to cause eye problems. Otherwise, double check your temps with something other then your normal thermometer, at tort level. Also, how often are you giving warm soaks, maybe give him one, see if that helps. Also be sure that when he is getting sunlight, that he also has shade.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Your not using a coil type bulb are you? If so, get rid of it, they have been known to cause eye problems. Otherwise, double check your temps with something other then your normal thermometer, at tort level. Also, how often are you giving warm soaks, maybe give him one, see if that helps. Also be sure that when he is getting sunlight, that he also has shade.

I don't use the coil lights I've heard that before, I have 2 different thermometers but I could try another one lower. The yard always has shade because of a huge tree. I've been soaking daily since the problem but doesnt seem to help. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell me more. Thanks though!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The things that came to my mind were: Getting too hot/ too dehydrated and coil lights.
Is there anything new in his environment? Anything at all that could irritate his eyes?
Pictures would help.