Night time temps?

gozzilla

I have a question about night time temps. My night time temps for my sulcata hatchling stay between 75-80. Do I need a night time bulb? I've had several bad experiences with night time bulbs over heating and producing a smell is the reason I don't have one right now.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It depends. How high is your humidity? Are you using anything right now as night heat?

May I recommend a ceramic heater aka CHE hooked up to a thermostat set at 80.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It depends. How high is your humidity? Are you using anything right now as night heat?

I use an MVB for the day and a CHE on a thermostat for night. (no light just heat as torts need darkness to sleep) The thermostat switches the che on/off if it gets too hot/cold
It is important you get the temps right especially for babies and a good rule is
humidity + heat = healthy tort
humidity + too cold = sick tort (RIs etc)

AzAngel

5 Year Member
Queen Creek, Arizona
I highly recommend a CHE for night heat. I have mine set to a thermostat as well to keep the night temps above 80. I don’t know how often it turns on, but not very much. NO light, no smell, works great with the high humidity as its water resistant. I can only tell if it’s on by touching it, but I don’t do that for obvious reasons :)

gozzilla

I am not, the reason for that is the bulbs over heating was becoming a fire hazard. And for the humidity it is 80 throughout the day but I let it drop to 50-65 (50 is rare but has happened a few times) during the night because of fears of a ri. What exactly should i use with the che and thermometer?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
My

I am not, the reason for that is the bulbs over heating was becoming a fire hazard. And for the humidity it is 80 throughout the day but I let it drop to 50-65 during the night because of fears of a ri. What exactly should i use with the che and thermometer?

I'm assuming those temps are only because it's summer. Once winter time hits maybe those temps will drop lower? The CHE will turn on to maintain the desired temp set by the thermostat.

gozzilla

The bulb I was talking about was the night time bulbs lol. Not CHE. I've not used one before, and was wondering what brand to use and what thermometer to get.

gozzilla

I'm assuming those temps are only because it's summer. Once winter time hits maybe those temps will drop lower? The CHE will turn on to maintain the desired temp set by the thermostat.
Also the temps will probably drop, at the moment though they rarely get below 78. Should I get the che right now? Or is it OK to wait a month?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I am not, the reason for that is the bulbs over heating was becoming a fire hazard. And for the humidity it is 80 throughout the day but I let it drop to 50-65 (50 is rare but has happened a few times) during the night because of fears of a ri. What exactly should i use with the che and thermometer?
Not sure what you mean gozzilla.
The ceramic heat emitter fits into a ceramic bulb holder (I use mine with a wide dome/shade) and hangs over the tabe/viv etc You plug it into the thermostat which has a probe which you put in the enclosure. You set the required temp on the thermostat and the probe tells it if it goes below or above the set temp and it automatically switches it on/off. Very easy to use

I am in the UK and use a Komodo thermostat and CHE - its been fine. but there'll be other makes out there. Check Amazon and the post pics to see what people say about them before you buy.

Are you using a deep dome with your bulbs? Someone recommended avoiding these as they cause the bulb to overheat but do a search and see what comes up.

gozzilla

i wasnt talking about the che, ive not had one yet. i was talking about the black/nightime bulbs. And do you know the price of the thermostat?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Also the temps will probably drop, at the moment though they rarely get below 78. Should I get the che right now? Or is it OK to wait a month?
You can't really be too careful with babies they are very vulnerable if the temps are too low so the sooner the better really.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The temps stay between 75-80. is this to low?

Its border line…

Get a CHE and set it on a thermostat to 80. If your night temps stay warm enough, it won't turn on. If ever the temp drops below 80ish, it will kick on to keep things warm. The thermostat will keep things from ever over heating.

I don't like those colored bulbs, but the smell you experienced is of concern. Make sure you are only using ceramic based fixtures for reptile purposes. The plastic bakelite types cannot handle the constant high heat and are a fire hazard.

Here are two thermostats that work:
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
i wasnt talking about the che, ive not had one yet. i was talking about the black/nightime bulbs. And do you know the price of the thermostat?
I think we're talking at cross purposes at the moment - sorry I'm easily confused.
Are you using your black bulbs in a deep dome shade? If so this may be why they are burning out. What wattage is it ? Maybe you could use a lower watt for you enclosure.
I don't know if the thermostat will work with bulbs. I have only used mine with a CHE and it is brilliant.
Are you in the US or UK? In the UK I paid £21 for the CHE and £35 for the thermostat. They aren't cheap but much cheaper than vets bill if your tort gets a RI because of low temps.
The temps stay between 75-80. is this to low?
Have a look at the caresheet for your tort that will tell you what the temp and humidity for your species should be.

gozzilla

I think we're talking at cross purposes at the moment - sorry I'm easily confused.
Are you using your black bulbs in a deep dome shade? If so this may be why they are burning out. What wattage is it ? Maybe you could use a lower watt for you enclosure.
I don't know if the thermostat will work with bulbs. I have only used mine with a CHE and it is brilliant.
Are you in the US or UK? In the UK I paid £21 for the CHE and £35 for the thermostat. They aren't cheap but much cheaper than vets bill if your tort gets a RI because of low temps.

Have a look at the caresheet for your tort that will tell you what the temp and humidity for your species should be.
It's ok lol. And I'm not using a night light at the moment. But when I did I used the the dome so that may have been my problem. And I have read the care sheets and it said no lower than 70 and I was making sure it wasnt different for a hatchling. And I know about vet bills haha. I've had 134 in vet bills for my iguana before. Price is just a problem for the next couple of weeks but, just making sure he will be ok. And I'm from the US.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's ok lol. And I'm not using a night light at the moment. But when I did I used the the dome so that may have been my problem. And I have read the care sheets and it said no lower than 70 and I was making sure it wasnt different for a hatchling. And I know about vet bills haha. I've had 134 in vet bills for my iguana before. Price is just a problem for the next couple of weeks but, just making sure he will be ok. And I'm from the US.

The care sheets that say no lower than 70 are not talking about hatchlings and they are not talking about a hatchling housed with proper African rainy season type humidity.

gozzilla

The care sheets that say no lower than 70 are not talking about hatchlings and they are not talking about a hatchling housed with proper African rainy season type humidity.
What should it be? The lowest my temps have reached is 75.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Tom's the best man to listen to - he has far far more experience than me!
Yes its not cheap keeping a tort! I have a rescued leopard in the UK - my bills have shot up keeping him toastie in his own room.

gozzilla

Its border line…

Get a CHE and set it on a thermostat to 80. If your night temps stay warm enough, it won't turn on. If ever the temp drops below 80ish, it will kick on to keep things warm. The thermostat will keep things from ever over heating.

I don't like those colored bulbs, but the smell you experienced is of concern. Make sure you are only using ceramic based fixtures for reptile purposes. The plastic bakelite types cannot handle the constant high heat and are a fire hazard.

Here are two thermostats that work:
http://www.lllreptile.com/products/13883-zilla-1000-watt-temperature-controller

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NZZG3S/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I didn't see this post, thanks for the links.