Night Heating

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Room temperature gets cold at night as we seldom use the heater (I have no control over this). Someone suggested a CHE with a hard-wired ceramic socket. I can’t do that for a few reasons, one of which is my plans to move to an apartment soon.

Would this fixture be okay? I plan to place it directly on the coir/soil substrate, not clamp it. Can it be put on a timer since it has an on/off switch? How would I make a whole in the top of my storage bin to thread the wire through?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DIWVO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Zoo Med Wire Cage Clamp Lamp

Guts

Tennessee
Placing it directly on the sub seems like a hazard.

im a bit confused though the fixture you’d be using with that hood is a che?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Some photos of your setup would help understand what you're trying to accomplish, as well as the species of tortoise you're dealing with, and temperature at night.

Generally, you want to mount a CHE above the substrate pointing down. Clamp fixtures like this aren't great since they can fall over. Running it on a thermostat is the best option so that a constant temp is maintained. A timer alone wouldn't control the temp.

Quixx66

Louisiana
Some photos of your setup would help understand what you're trying to accomplish, as well as the species of tortoise you're dealing with, and temperature at
Matteo is in the upper left corner. The hide is coming out as I heard it’s too open. His soaking bowl doesn’t live there, I just forgot to remove it. Im swapping the saucer for a terracotta one now that he’s bigger.

I have rocks and decors as well now that he’s bigger. Would the get too hot with the CHE and basking lamp and burn him?

Thanks.
image.jpg

Last edited:

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Looks like a Hermann's tortoise.

Here's a link to temperature and other care info.

Shoot for an overnight low in the 68-72F range, slightly lower (mid to low 60's) wouldn't be terrible as long as it gets up to the proper temp starting in the morning. Daytime basking temps under the lamp should be around 95-100F, and the rest of the enclosure should be around 80F. Use your temp gun. It will be tough to get uniform temperatures without a lid on the box.

If you're able to keep it above the mid 60's at night, you don't need a CHE. Anything below that would probably be a good idea. Look into running it on a thermostat (set around 70 with the sensor wherever he sleeps) so that it does not get too hot.

Mount the CHE from the top, pointing down, like the light. Don't place a CHE directly on the substrate.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Room temperature gets cold at night as we seldom use the heater (I have no control over this). Someone suggested a CHE with a hard-wired ceramic socket. I can’t do that for a few reasons, one of which is my plans to move to an apartment soon.

Would this fixture be okay? I plan to place it directly on the coir/soil substrate, not clamp it. Can it be put on a timer since it has an on/off switch? How would I make a whole in the top of my storage bin to thread the wire through?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DIWVO/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Zoo Med Wire Cage Clamp Lamp

not really. “Clamp lamps” are very dangerous. A lady on here was using one. When her work called her back in from covid, she came home only to find her baby dead. The clamp unclamped and the light fell on her baby killing it. It sounds very ugly AMD my heart is still broken for her. But if telling you a tragic story prevents more deaths then that’s why I have to do.
Try to use this one from Amazon.

Attachments

• B9E51BD8-48AF-4480-8EBF-5CF899FC11C2.png
    B9E51BD8-48AF-4480-8EBF-5CF899FC11C2.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 7115773D-4A71-472B-81C9-0407E57C7FF9.png
    7115773D-4A71-472B-81C9-0407E57C7FF9.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 10

Quixx66

Louisiana
Placing it directly on the sub seems like a hazard.

im a bit confused though the fixture you’d be using with that hood is a che?
I’m confused about myself as well as confusing you! For some reason I thought CHEs went inside the enclosure so I could put the lid on at night. Sorry about that!

Last edited:

Quixx66

Louisiana
not really. “Clamp lamps” are very dangerous. A lady on here was using one. When her work called her back in from covid, she came home only to find her baby dead. The clamp unclamped and the light fell on her baby killing it. It sounds very ugly AMD my heart is still broken for her. But if telling you a tragic story prevents more deaths then that’s why I have to do.
Try to use this one from Amazon.
Oh no! Poor baby and poor lady! Thank you for letting me know about this. And thank you for a specific model to buy. That helps a lot.