Newbies can't be trusted?

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
In some circumstances I understand the post below mine, but the way I understood is that you can't trust any newbie. I don't agree on that. I believe that you can't trust a newbie whom is all over you about getting a free tortoise. Please reply

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
No stranger should be trusted on the internet by default when it comes to something like rehoming a pet. While it's nice to think the best of people, unfortunately, there are a lot of unscrupulous individuals out there who use forums to prey on the trusting. That's why we encourage new members to post introductions, so we can get to know them. We want to learn about new member's experiences with tortoises - or if they lack experience, what motivates them to become a tortoise keeper. While people can obviously lie, many of those who just come on here looking for free tortoises to adopt to later resell or those looking to sell sick tortoises don't seem willing to put the time in to participate in the community. Most new members are trustworthy, but if someone has only posted a few words here and there, we can't know for sure if they are, so we advise those looking to rehome their pets to be cautious and we ask new members to take the time to get to know the tortoise forum community. This is for the safety of new members more than anything, as it is new members who generally fall for the scammers (giving away a beloved pet thinking it was going to a good home only to find it flipped and sold or by spending money on a sick tortoise or a tortoise that is never delivered).

Tortoise_Nerd

5 Year Member
Georgia
Ok thank you for your reply. I understand now. That is sad that people do that

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many times when someone has a free or very cheap tortoise, new and unknown members pounce on them. Many times if you check these members other posts, either there are none or the other posts were also in response to another free animal. Sometimes a post about another different species.
I try to warn about these free tortoise trolling, new, mysterious members. Called "trolls" for short.
Their intentions are unknown. Some are truly very suspicious.
Not that there is anything wrong with wanting to take on a free tortoise. I've given a few away myself to people I trust. I've also been given several.
But at least take the time to make a "welcome" post and get yourself introduced.
Nobody dislikes new members.
Far from it.
It's just that most of us would like to forge some sort of relationship with anyone wanting one of our pets.

Last edited:

iamvallano

I also understand the legitimacy of a 'newbie'. I'm a newbie but I'm an avid turtle in tortoise enthusiast. I have two Salacata Tortoise, two Mississippi Map Turtles, and getting an Aldabra tortoise soon. We've all been newbies at some point. if you're questioning their legitimacy i would quiz them to see if they've really done their research.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
I also understand the legitimacy of a 'newbie'. I'm a newbie but I'm an avid turtle in tortoise enthusiast. I have two Salacata Tortoise, two Mississippi Map Turtles, and getting an Aldabra tortoise soon. We've all been newbies at some point. if you're questioning their legitimacy i would quiz them to see if they've really done their research.

The longer you hang around and interact, the more you'll fall out of the "newbie" category. I'm still a newbie myself!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It doesn't just apply to TFO; it's the same whatever you do on the internet.

You have absolutely no idea who is lurking behind an online profile on any website or app.

Those with established reputations on here have taken the time to get themselves known and a reasonable degree of trust in their knowledge of torts has been established. Whether or not they're the kind of person you would want to meet up with in real life is another matter completely - I'd like to think we have no members who are fraudsters or murderers, but there's no telling.

Unfortunately, most of these people also have the maximum quota of torts they can handle. So it goes without saying that adoptees are likely to have low or no feedback.

Which then turns it round to the person selling or adopting out the tortoise to check out the credentials of the person coming forward and not to take any claims at face value.

Life is not straightforward.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Most new members don't know that a lot of us fell for a scam a while back. A member known as @deercorpse (spelling)Told us all a story about his dying wife and her dream of owning a Cherry Head tortoise, etc. etc. Many of us acted and at least one member sent a free Cherry Head. This went on for weeks. Until it was proven that the whole thing was a scam.
THIS kind of stuff is out there. It's unfortunate. But it makes you start to get suspicious.
On the other hand, I'm sure that we have scumbags that are established, long time members. I just can't think of any.;)

Last edited:

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Here is my thought, first off its "Sulcata" secondly if you've done your RESEARCH as you say, you would know not to keep them in pairs and not on the carpet floor, 3rd thing is asking the Aldabra keeper if he would hold you one until you have the money, he doesn't know you to do that, again you listed you have experience with large tortoises. 4th thing, you said you have experience with large tortoises, looks like you've only had the Sulcata's for less than a month. These are the things we look at and point out. Have you posted pictures of the Sulcata enclosure? I'm not trying to be mean but these definitely throw up flags to me, also you Birthday is wrong on your profile, it helps people to know how old a person is they are dealing with too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/possible-sick-hatching.153409/ This thread shows me what experience you have. Learn all you can about the care of one before trying to take on the care of a very expensive tort such as an Aldabra.

Last edited by a moderator:

jhwalker

Most new members don't know that a lot of us fell for a scam a while back. A member known as @deercorpse (spelling)Told us all a story about his dying wife and her dream of owning a Cherry Head tortoise, etc. etc. Many of us acted and at least one member sent a free Cherry Head. This went on for weeks. Until it was proven that the whole thing was a scam.
THIS kind of stuff is out there. It's unfortunate. But it makes you start to get suspicious.
On the other hand, I'm sure that we have scumbags that are established, long time members. I just can't think of any.;)
Thats terrible

Minos90

San Diego
Here is my thought, first off its "Sulcata" secondly if you've done your RESEARCH as you say, you would know not to keep them in pairs and not on the carpet floor, 3rd thing is asking the Aldabra keeper if he would hold you one until you have the money, he doesn't know you to do that, again you listed you have experience with large tortoises. 4th thing, you said you have experience with large tortoises, looks like you've only had the Sulcata's for less than a month. These are the things we look at and point out. Have you posted pictures of the Sulcata enclosure? I'm not trying to be mean but these definitely throw up flags to me, also you Birthday is wrong on your profile, it helps people to know how old a person is they are dealing with too.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/possible-sick-hatching.153409/ This thread shows me what experience you have. Learn all you can about the care of one before trying to take on the care of a very expensive tort such as an Aldabra.

That post you linked made me cringe. Salacta???

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I've seen many warnings posted on many adoption threads.I don't ever recall 1 saying no new members can be trusted only warning that new member sometimes just look for free tortoises to turn around and sell and to be careful and investigate whoever offers to take in your tortoise.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can understand how it feels to place an offer to adopt a tortoise and right after your post there's a post warning about new members you can feel like It's directed at you but it's usually not

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've seen many warnings posted on many adoption threads.I don't ever recall 1 saying no new members can be trusted only warning that new member sometimes just look for free tortoises to turn around and sell and to be careful and investigate whoever offers to take in your tortoise.
Sure. most new members go on to become known, helpful members.