NEWBIE TO THE THREAD & NEW LEOPARD TORTOISE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
RE: NEWBIE TO THE THREAD & NEW LEOPARD TORTOISE!!!

goReptiles said:
Do you have any updated pictures of her?

I JUST took one just for you real quick while she was nomnoming her feast lol! I'm trying to get her weight up so it's a pure large salad in the morning or whenever we wake up and a medium salad mixed with mazuri in the night/evening... She used to hide in her hut even when I turned on the lights. Now when I turn them on she comes out like where the hacks the food!?!?

image-3397955455.png

jfulcher said:
I JUST took one just for you real quick while she was nomnoming her feast lol! I'm trying to get her weight up so it's a pure large salad in the morning or whenever we wake up and a medium salad mixed with mazuri in the night/evening... She used to hide in her hut even when I turned on the lights. Now when I turn them on she comes out like where the hacks the food!?!?

Also here's some pix of her outside:

image-1213736336.png

image-2388228214.png

image-4133188078.png

A little while into eating like 30min and she was facedown asleep in her large salad now a hour later she's back at it! GOTTA GET THAT SALAD DOWN!!!

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ

LeopardTortLover said:
She's looking so much better already! How old is she?

She's three years old :( I think she is SOOO tiny for three!!! The guy bought her at a repticon in San Diego Cali three years ago... And she's been mistreated since then... BUT NOW I HAVE HER!!! Only thing is now I fear for my BF'S crested gecko he traded for it for our anniversary present.... :(
But the crestie is soo much easier to care for, than a tortoise. Just a heat bulb, and some repashy, or baby food and he's happy! So I am trying to convince myself he's ok...

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I'm sure it'll be fine, dont worry. As for her size, all torts grow at different rates and I dont think she looks too small. What does she weigh and her length? its hard to tell from pics. mine is coming up to 19 months now and isnt much smaller than yours

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ

LeopardTortLover said:
I'm sure it'll be fine, dont worry. As for her size, all torts grow at different rates and I dont think she looks too small. What does she weigh and her length? its hard to tell from pics. mine is coming up to 19 months now and isnt much smaller than yours

I'll measure her once I get a ruler of sorts. But I used my scale, and I adjusted it to 0, and she's weighing in at just about 4.5oz or a lil under.... I'm calling that underweight... I'd say though eyeing her, shell tip to end she's about 4 1/2". Give or take... And maybe 3" tall with the top of her shell. Again give or take... Wasn't even near 5oz......... But Leo's don't get nearly as big as sulcata right??

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK

Okay yeah that is quite small for a three year old. Mazuri and Zoomed Grassland Tortoise Food can help them gain weight. But ideally you want slow and steady growth.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Suprised no one had address this yet. Glass aquariums are not the best. 1) ventilation is poor 2) tortoises are stupid at understanding glass and always keep running into the glass and can break their face. You will have to cover the glass with paper or get a tortoise table. The forum has great guides on how to DIY a tortoise table.

Not sure on the size of the ones here but back in South Africa the Leo could get 3ft from end to end. Called them mountain tortoises for a good reason.

jfulcher

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ

Here's a pic of her eating tonight! She's a little cow lately!!! Weighed her again tonight! AND SHE'S GAINED A 1/2 and ounce!!! I'm ready to call that progress!!! She's looking better, and more active, and def heftier!!! I'm going to give you a before and after shot of her!! First is before, second is after! OK so first two, are first day I got her... She looks TERRIBLE!!! Compared to now...!

View attachment 40168

View attachment 40169

View attachment 40170

Bf can't see the difference, but I can!

ESP in this pic!!!

View attachment 40171

Status
Not open for further replies.