Newbie to the Site..but not new to loving animals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
I actually adopted him from a person I found on this site located a couple of hours away. I searched all over for one to adopt (my kitties and eastern painted turtles were all adopted so I thought it was the best way to go) it was really hard to find a rt in my area. I contacted afew shelters but they were slow to get back to me.

I love my Russian he is very very friendly loves his head rubbed and is just too funny to watch. I'm not sure his back ground (I'm his third owner) but if your weary about ones that may have been wild there are some folks on this forum that have rts that are either hatchlings or sometimes looking to rehome.

I have read that differing types of tortoises shouldn't be put in the same enclosure so if you got those little guys and housed them separately tootsie wouldn't be in harms way

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
I actually adopted him from a person I found on this site located a couple of hours away. I searched all over for one to adopt (my kitties and eastern painted turtles were all adopted so I thought it was the best way to go) it was really hard to find a rt in my area. I contacted afew shelters but they were slow to get back to me.

I love my Russian he is very very friendly loves his head rubbed and is just too funny to watch. I'm not sure his back ground (I'm his third owner) but if your weary about ones that may have been wild there are some folks on this forum that have rts that are either hatchlings or sometimes looking to rehome.

I have read that differing types of tortoises shouldn't be put in the same enclosure so if you got those little guys and housed them separately tootsie wouldn't be in harms way

they wouldnt be housed together, just in the same room..but i still feel worried about it..but then i just hate seeing them like that..they are literally stuck under the light and heat emitted all day..they dont have enough room to get out of the basking spot , and they dont have any shade!!!! =/ .. petco realy sucks sometimes

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
I know what you mean! Since got my tortoise I have like steered clear of there it just breaks my heart to see animals like that and to hear the false information they give. I'm sure there's a forum you could post that ? and get some good answers

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
KaitlinKeefe_ said:
I know what you mean! Since got my tortoise I have like steered clear of there it just breaks my heart to see animals like that and to hear the false information they give. I'm sure there's a forum you could post that ? and get some good answers

ye.. i know that if a keeper is smart and knows about the torts you can keep multi species with out getting any sick..its just always a worrie...i dont know..you have inspired me even more to go rescue those Russians loll.. im realy thinking about it... im going to walk in to pet co and say " back the fu** up, im breaking all 3 prisoners outta there!!" loll

and you wanna know something even worse about petco...not only are the torts keep in horrible conditions...but so isn't every single other animal in that store...and on top of that they have a bunch on 15 yr old kids working there for 8 dollars an hour who could realy give 2 sh*ts about the animals

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
You are completely right! And they sell enclosures that arnt just too small for the animal but not even the appropriate lay out. When I first got my painted turtle they told me a 20 gal aquarium and a uv light was all I needed! It like blew my mind. They sell pets that are mistreated and give false information to people that want to help the poor things out :( the petco in my area has over 5 res in one fairly small tank if I had more room in my house all of them would be there. The hard thing with buying from them is that it's supporting their business. I couldn't imagine my Russian stuck in such a small enclosure he loves to roam around and has surprised even me by how active he is.

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
kaitlin the Russians enclosure is so small..that all 3 of them are always laying on top of each other for shade and because they just dont have any room to move any were else..and on top of that the food they have out for them are bone dry rotten lettuce...they prob change out the greens maybe once a week after sitting under the heat lamp for days..every time i go there the lettuce is brown...its sad to think that those torts were wild...and they were stolen from their natural home to be stuffed in a jail...captive bred's are born captive so they dont have the memory of the wild..they are use to being human fed and being in contact with humans..but animals born in the wild are not..that honestly must torture them..they go from having unlimited space to basically no space..and added with the no space they have a bunch of people banging and tapping on the glass all day..its sad..i really hate those big company's like pet co... everything is money to them..no love or passion about helping animals and getting them good homes..all that matters for them is that they got their 200% profit..they honestly could care less if your animals is sick or dies

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
That brought tears to my eyes anyone who has bonded with a tort would be broken hearted to see that.. They could easily have a set up a little larger and more appropriate! I change my guys food out at least once a day sometimes more because of the heat lamp! Poor babies! I thought there regulations in place about tortoise enclosures :(

Anyway to place a complaint to like a district manager maybe?? If so post the number and if be glad to call and complain as well

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
ive thought about it kait, but even the managers at this location are young and completely uneducated with any of the animals or products they carry. petco is like a used car dealer ship..they dont kare what the history of the product is..and they dont kare what the future of the product it..to them the animals are "products" or "stock".. just another profit.. i cant even buy fish for my tanks there..but its not just that location..its literally every petco you go to is the same...i like petsmart a tiny bit better..but its usually the same thing there to.. i feel like calling corporate. i just know that they would not do a thing to change this. IF ANY ONE READING THIS WANTS A GOOD PLACE TO BUY PET PRODUCTS, WITH OUT FUELING THE BIG NAMES LIKE PETCO AND PETSMART..GO TO ( THATPETPLACE.COM) EVERY PRODUCT PLUS MORE AND HALF THE PRICE OF PETCO AND PETSMART..AND THEY DO NOT ABUSE ANIMALS!!!

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
It's not like they couldn't provide an adequate enclosure for the little guys! And if they did that they'd be showing prospective owners the requirements for owning a tort and fewer people who could not provide the appropriate housing and general care would be purchasing them. I saw a rt that was raised without uv the poor guy was so deformed. Pet stores need to educated potential owners not show them what not to do!

IBeenEasy

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
they dont even educate their employees!!!!! if they were smart..they would hire educated people who have passion for animals....but every things about money to them..they would rather have a stupid 15 yr olds working there for 8 dollars..rather then hire trained people who actually know how to kare for animals for a higher wage....everything is money money with these companies

but check out this pic...this is tootsie watching tv!!!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-708551.html#pid708551

Status
Not open for further replies.