Newbie Outdoor Enclosure Questions

ljb

Location (City and/or State)
USA
I have a few questions that I was having trouble finding the answer by searching.

I am making an outside enclosure for my new Russian and just wanted to double check a few things.

I know you can use coco coir, orchid bark and cypress mulch in an indoor set up but is it fine for outdoor set ups too?

I am also making the enclosure out of cinder blocks, are they safe to use? I was considering using pressure treated wood but my husband is worried about the arsenic in that, is that an issue? I am also wondering if you just need a hide in the shade or should you have others in the sun also?

Are there any definite no no's in an outdoor russian set up?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, not sure how large an area that you are talking about? But here are some answers

1. No reason, other than cost, why u couldn't use coco coir, etc.
2. Cinder blocks are safe. If u look through the outdoor enclosures thread, you will see that many use such blocks
3. As far as PT wood, here's a good link with good info http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infpre.html
4. If you have the space, mutiple hides are great. Gives your tort multiple places to seek out.
5. As far as no no's, I'll defer to others.

Regards

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Why not? I don't, personally, because the rain washed it out.
I use cinder blocks. Two high, because russians can CLIMB. Those little suckers.
I wouldn't use treated would of any kind, but again, just me! Hide in the sun and sun. Big edble plants for sun and shade are good too, becuase they like hiding outdoors... from the sun and predators... You also always need a water dish. In the shade is better so that if your tort goes for a drink, he won't get toasted! Even though my russian doesn't do so much, in general, they like to dig. I would put a 6'' or deeper fencing or something in the to prevent any tricky business! Are you keeping him out at night? You'll need a secure lid.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/ That has great enclosure section!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like your a questions have been answered. Don't forget pics when you have it finished.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Cap your corners with a lip! Russians can climb anything, and I mean anything! Mine is part mountain goat I swear!