Newbie From Texas

CamposIII81

Hi, my name is David and I live in San Antonio, Tx. I have owned one Russian tortoise (Otis) a male for about a year and a half now and I just recently got a Testudo tortoise (Odessa) a female. Even tho I've owned a tortoise for a year now I still feel like there's more to learn. Thanks for the future helpImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404079797.474972.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404079828.905302.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404079846.521957.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404079914.611425.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi David, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm curious why you call Otis a Russian and Odessa a testudo? They're both the same species, and you can call them both either Testudo horsefieldii or Russians. Otis is a beauty! I'm assuming that's Otis in the top picture?? At any rate, that top picture is a beautiful Russian.

Just a note of info for you for next time you buy another Russian - be sure to quarantine a new tortoise for at least 3 months before you add it to your existing tortoises. Many a member has lost the whole group because of adding a sick-but-not-showing-it tortoise to the group without a quarantine period.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Hi, my name is David and I live in San Antonio, Tx. I have owned one Russian tortoise (Otis) a male for about a year and a half now and I just recently got a Testudo tortoise (Odessa) a female. Even tho I've owned a tortoise for a year now I still feel like there's more to learn. Thanks for the future helpView attachment 85499View attachment 85500View attachment 85501View attachment 85502

Hello! I'm in SA too. I've got leopards and I just adopted a pair of Russians yesterday. Welcome!

Elohi(Earth)

CamposIII81

Hi David, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm curious why you call Otis a Russian and Odessa a testudo? They're both the same species, and you can call them both either Testudo horsefieldii or Russians. Otis is a beauty! I'm assuming that's Otis in the top picture?? At any rate, that top picture is a beautiful Russian.

Just a note of info for you for next time you buy another Russian - be sure to quarantine a new tortoise for at least 3 months before you add it to your existing tortoises. Many a member has lost the whole group because of adding a sick-but-not-showing-it tortoise to the group without a quarantine period.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I hope both of you are ready to devide the Russians or get another Russian because they don't do well in pairs , they do better in groups . But have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Please do listen to Grandpa's advise and Welcome. Good to have you here.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Welcome, David.
I just signed up but really like it here.

CamposIII81

I hope both of you are ready to devide the Russians or get another Russian because they don't do well in pairs , they do better in groups . But have a great tort day !

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on them and look into dividing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Buy the way you only see 4 but there is 7 in that enclosure .

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Hi, my name is David and I live in San Antonio, Tx. I have owned one Russian tortoise (Otis) a male for about a year and a half now and I just recently got a Testudo tortoise (Odessa) a female. Even tho I've owned a tortoise for a year now I still feel like there's more to learn. Thanks for the future helpView attachment 85499View attachment 85500View attachment 85501View attachment 85502
Alright, another San Antonian like me! Nice to meet yuh, friends call me Stash.:cool: