Newb researching for a future adoption in Kentucky

JJAlcock

Location (City and/or State)
Elizabethtown, KY
Greetings everyone. I am interested in adopting a tortoise in the future (within a year or more) and am here to research before bringing one home. I live in Kentucky where the summers are hot and winters are mild to freezing. I do plan on building an outdoor structure for our future family member and an indoor habitat in the basement during the winter months. I am considering a hybrid giant African Leopard or similar as I would like a friend that will grow to between the size of 14-18 inches. I appreciate all the posts and look forward to all the advise found within this forum during my period of research.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome you will find everything you need to know right here. Don't bother surfing the web for more info. Everything is updated here with many members are breeders or have many years raising torts.I would think if planning to use the basement for winters plan on building the enclosure off the ground and have a Kane mat included. Read the beginner's mistake thread and threads on the species you prefer. Ask all the questions you have and someone might know the best breeder to purchase your tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We have several leopard tortoise breeders here on the Forum. You can't go wrong buying from any one of them.

JJAlcock

Elizabethtown, KY
Welcome you will find everything you need to know right here. Don't bother surfing the web for more info. Everything is updated here with many members are breeders or have many years raising torts.I would think if planning to use the basement for winters plan on building the enclosure off the ground and have a Kane mat included. Read the beginner's mistake thread and threads on the species you prefer. Ask all the questions you have and someone might know the best breeder to purchase your tort.

Thank you for the advise. I’m definitely learning a lot from this forum alone.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Smart set-up and dial in your closed-chamber (for babies) prior to getting your tortoise. I grew plants in it before I started to give me a less dramatic learning curve!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum and thank you for doing your research before you get your tortoise. Most of us did it the other way arounf. :oops: