Outdoor enclosure for Russian Tortoise

kobobird

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hi everyone! I'm new here and have a question. So I live in Kentucky and we have really humid summers. And I know Russians don't like humid places right? Well I really would like to build my Russian tortoise an outdoor enclosure. Will he be alright in the humid climate during the summer? Anyway he is about 5 years old and is named crush (yes it's from nemo). He is my first tortoise and I'm really enjoying him so far. I'm 14 now so I've got a lifelong companion. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489239289.614794.jpg

BILBO-03

Hi and Welcome!:)

I'm pretty sure he would be fine outside in Kentucky. But some more experienced people will chime in !

kobobird

Kentucky
Hi and Welcome!:)

I'm pretty sure he would be fine outside in Kentucky. But some more experienced people will chime in !
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to hear that you think it'll be fine because I can't wait to let him roam around outside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad to hear that you think it'll be fine because I can't wait to let him roam around outside.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm a little worried about your statement, "...let him roam around outside." Russian tortoises are great escape artists. They climb real good and they dig like crazy. Be sure to build him a safe and secure outdoor pen that he can't escape from, and don't allow him to have your whole yard or you'll lose him for sure.

kobobird

Kentucky
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm a little worried about your statement, "...let him roam around outside." Russian tortoises are great escape artists. They climb real good and they dig like crazy. Be sure to build him a safe and secure outdoor pen that he can't escape from, and don't allow him to have your whole yard or you'll lose him for sure.
Don't worry, I'm not letting him actually roam around. I'm in the process of building him an outdoor enclosure now. It's going half a foot in ground to stop digging and the pen will be about a foot and a half tall. When I said roam I was comparing it to the 40 gallon tank he's in now. Thanks for the concerns! It's nice to see people care!