New

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member
My Hubby says I should start by admitting I have a problem!:D My second tortoise was given to me for a class pet almost 2years ago. It was a mangled up, crippled half dead Sulcata that we(the students and I) named Big Sal. I didn't know much but I knew something was NOT right with this tortoise. The pyramiding on the shell is so bad I had to clean the gunk out of the crevices with a paint brush. It could not walk at all but very slowly dragged itself along with its front legs while the back legs splayed out so badly the feet never hit the ground. A few Internet hours later I knew I was dealing with a really bad case of MBD! The food list I had been given? All lettuce and fruits(especially addicted to berries) I was so afraid this thing was going to die that I got another tortoise hatchling to occupy the students just in case(although Sal seemed to love the attention from the kids). To shorten Sal's story, I put wheels on her belly and spent the summer sprinkling grasses and hay and greens with apple juice to get her off the fruit addiction without starving her. She now eats what she should without a problem and not only walks but can now pick herself up off the ground and cruise! Big Sal is a great encouragement and a story of victory for our little Christian School! However, I now have 9 tortoises and two box turtles! Hence my problem:D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Tell your husband he made a huge mistake letting you join here. :D What you have is not a problem, it is a passion. One we highly encourage. No treatment is needed. :D :D Great story!! Welcome.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

You're in good company here. Your husband may not approve of that much... we're not exactly much help when it comes to tort addiction!

It's him that's got the problem, not you ;)

tortallyinsane11

5 Year Member
My husband is wonderful and totally kidding. He has built wonderful tables and habitats for all of my torts and even gave me a new Russian for Christmas because he thought my other one might be lonely(he was my only solitary tort in a table). Big Sal is the gal I mentioned and a real sweetie! I have 4 other Sulcatas that have been found in various places by various friends and given to me. I do not intend to keep them all but intend to be very careful about where they go! I also have two Russians, one Desert, a brand new baby hatchling something that someone just gave me(could be desert?), and two tiny box turtle hatchlings. I love this site! There is so much information here! And I will work on uploading photos this weekend! Big Sal still looks bad but she's a beauty to me and doing so much better(she does look better without the wheels)!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
What a great story, I love these happy endings to no end! You are a wonderfull person for doing what you did! And I too would love to see pictures of Big Sal. And Jacqui is right, it is a massive passion, and a great thing to have in my opinion! I can't think of a better "addiction" to have! :p
Yay, my 2000 post!! I hope that at least 10% of my posts have resulted in helping people! :)
Thanks for share'n this great story!

Status
Not open for further replies.