New with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

animalkeeper

5 Year Member
I am thinking about getting a tortoise (if I can convince my parents to let me get one :D ) and have some questions.

How big of an outdoor enclosure would an adult greek, russian, or similar sized tortoise need?

Can you leave them outside when it rains or do you bring them inside?

How cold is too cold for a tortoise?

Do you just let them eat the grass/weeds in their enclosure or do you feed them other things too?

Do they carry salmonella or anything else?

Thanks!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum, all reptile's have the potential to carry salmonella but if you buy a captive breed tortoise then it's not something to worry about. The thought of getting salmonella has never crossed my mind with my 2 tortoises..

I don't keep the smaller breed's of tortoise's so someone else will have to answer your other questions...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
First things first. Read this please - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1Nb16LnDq

Okay, as far as your questions.

1) As large as possible, and the absolute minimum would be 4' X 8'. They are active tortoises so bigger is better, but that size is the minimum I would consider not to be cruel.

2) As long as it is warmer than 50*F and your tortoise is an adult or subadult, it is fine to leave them out in the rain. For younger tortoises, I would not leave them out if it is cooler than 65*. The rain is okay, but if they get cold/wet it can make them very sick.

3) I leave my adults outside all the time once it stays above 50* at night, and as long as they can warm up the next day. I leave my babies out once it is above 65* at night. It depends on species, but that is a pretty safe rule.

4) I have my enclosures planted with things that are good for them to eat, so mostly in the summer they graze on their own. I feed them a meal of greens/etc. once a week. It takes quite a bit of weeds and stuff to support them, so it is probably best if you offer a meal every couple of days.

5) Yes, they CAN carry salmonella. However, so does your toothbrush, the dirt in your back yard, dog feces, cat feces, bird droppings, your kitchen counters and computer keyboard, and all kinds of things that you come into contact with on a daily basis. There are over 2,000 strains of salmonella. The chances of getting an infection from a tortoise is very, very VERY slim. As long as you keep your tortoise pen clean and wash your hands after handling your tortoise, there really is nothing to be concerned about.

Back in the 70's there was a trend of selling baby Red Eared slider turtles along with these tiny kidney shaped bowls with a plastic palm tree in it for them to live in. Sliders can grow to be as big as a dinner plate. The enclosures were way too small and dirty to keep the turtles healthy. Because the water was so dirty it allowed the salmonella bacteria in the turtle's intestine to multiply like crazy, and they shed the bacteria in their feces. Inevitably, small children would put their hands or the sick little turtle in their mouth, and get a salmonella infection. It caused a pretty big stereotype about turtles and tortoises carrying salmonella and making people sick. As long as you practice good hygiene and take good care of your pet, there should not be any problems.

Welcome to the forum! And good job asking questions BEFORE you get a tortoise!

animalkeeper

5 Year Member
Thanks for answering my question! What kind of tortoise would you recommend for a first time owner? I found a tortoise breeder online and they have all different kinds, but im not sure which to get.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My personal recommendation for a first tortoise is a Russian or Greek. Both are hardy (especially the Russians) and easy to care for, and stay a manageable size.

We have members here that have them for sale, too. Tyler Stewart of www.tortoisesupply.com is a trusted seller and has many different varieties. There are others posted in the for sale section too. Just remember when shopping that cheaper isn't always better, because if you end up with a sick tortoise, the vet bills will be a killer. I also recommend STRONGLY that as a new keeper, you choose a tortoise that is at least 6 months, preferably a year old. Babies can be difficult to get started and you will be heartbroken if your baby dies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Kristina especially about buying from a trusted seller, the last thing you want is a sick tortoise. So do your homework about the breeder you will buy from...

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Welcome and I ditto the last two post. Good luck on your choice and look forward to seeing on the forum again, soon.

animalkeeper

5 Year Member
That is the seller I was looking to buy from. I think I would get one atleast a year old just to be on the safe side.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
animalkeeper said:
I am thinking about getting a tortoise (if I can convince my parents to let me get one :D ) and have some questions.

How big of an outdoor enclosure would an adult greek, russian, or similar sized tortoise need?

6' X 4' is about the minimum, IMABO, but as big as you can make it is best...my enclosures are about 7.5' X 5'

Can you leave them outside when it rains or do you bring them inside?

Just as long as it's not too cold...mid-50s or warmer is my preference, but if the tort can burrow down, it can be out in cooler weather.

How cold is too cold for a tortoise?

I prefer mine not be out if the overnight temps are under mid-50s/daytime under mid-60s and sunny.

Do you just let them eat the grass/weeds in their enclosure or do you feed them other things too?

My torts enclosures have a nice crop of dandelions, sow thistle and other tasty weeds, but they also get dark green vegetables, spring mix and/or prickly pear pads every other day.

Do they carry salmonella or anything else?

ALL living creatures, including humans can carry salmonella, but if you buy healthy, keep 'em healthy, and wash your hands after you handle them, it's no problem.

Thanks!
animalkeeper said:
Thanks for answering my question! What kind of tortoise would you recommend for a first time owner? I found a tortoise breeder online and they have all different kinds, but im not sure which to get.
Any of the European varieties (other than the Egyptians, which are rare, expensive and a bit delicate) are good...I rate them as Hermann's, Greeks, Russian, Marginated in desirability as pets (but it's pretty close, really)...all can make a great pet. A great choice for more places, as they're pretty adaptable.

You may be tempted by a African sulcata, due to how cute the baby ones are, and their fun personalities, but they quickly get HUGE (sometimes up to 200 lbs!) and therefore are only for folks who can keep them outside 24/7/365 AND have a stone or brick wall around your yard (they can, and sometimes do destroy wooden and chain-link fences).

If you live somewhere pretty humid, a red-foot can be a good pet, and they, while larger than a European, aren't too big for most folks.

Welcome to our little slice of Heaven! :cool:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'd like to know where you live because there are a lot of things that can be pre-determined just from your climate zone...

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes that would be old enough but you may want to find one a little bit bigger if you want to leave it outside year round.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
animalkeeper said:

If it were me, I'd go with an adult...same price or less (males $100, females $200, currently), and very hardy...and, with loving care, one'll live many, many years.

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/products/Greek-Tortoise.html

Plus, you can set an adult up outside immediately, where they're happiest/healthiest. Look over in Enclosures for a lot of great ideas for your pet's new home. Here's basically what I build, although I make them about 2X this size (this one is my "quarrantine" enclosure):

b612ac33-037a-45f1-9470-9777a5d24ba6

I build "caves" out of stone and mortar for them to sleep in/get out of the sun (I like the natural aesthetic, although a wooden box is also fine):

5c50538d-badb-4095-b3c5-c1bc9bf02f15

And a water dish, large enough for your pet to soak in, but not so deep as that he might drown, is mandatory...I use large plant saucers...note my former adult male Iberian, Ptolemy...he now lives in Dallas, with his new family:

d4f5aea7-04f5-469b-8fec-be40f298e2cd

Then, just add features, so as to give your new pet things to climb over/under/around...these are considerably more intelligent beasties than most people think, so the mental stimulation is good for them!

An Iberian is an excellent choice for a first tortoise, btw. :cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi animalkeeper:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

Status