new with questions....

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
Hey all....I am new here so thanks for having me. I am just checking things out right now but am thinking about a Sulcata . I would start with a small 1 so would like to set something up inside to get 1 started....I have lots of room outside that i will set up later. Just wondering if a 2" x 4" area would work just to get 1 started ? and if so how long would that be good for......what age/size would be good to move outside full time ? Thanks and sorry for all the questions but I am sure there will be more.
Jack

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Hey Jack, welcome!

A 2x4 space will work nicely! They all grow at such different rates so it's impossible to give an accurate time frame on how long it will last you. I move mine outdoors full time when they hit 6" but this will depend on your climate. I'm in Mesa, AZ so it's warm here and our winters are very mild. Even so they all have heat lamps and shelter that stays 80 degrees year round outside so they can get cool or warm when they want to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all....I am new here so thanks for having me. I am just checking things out right now but am thinking about a Sulcata . I would start with a small 1 so would like to set something up inside to get 1 started....I have lots of room outside that i will set up later. Just wondering if a 2" x 4" area would work just to get 1 started ? and if so how long would that be good for......what age/size would be good to move outside full time ? Thanks and sorry for all the questions but I am sure there will be more.
Jack
A 2x4 closed chamber will be okay for a hatchling, but it will only last a few months if you are buying a healthy baby from a breeder who starts them right.

I move mine outside full time with a heated night box at about 8-10", which is when they are outgrowing their 4x8' indoor enclosures. Prior to that, I have a large outdoor enclosure that they run around in all day in fair weather, until I bring them in at night. Be aware that outside all day is not good for babies regardless of the climate and weather. My general rule is one hour of outside time per inch of tortoise. Once a sulcata hits 5-6", I leave them outside most of the day, weather permitting, but still bring them back into their large closed chamber for night time.

Be aware, BEFORE you buy, that sulcatas get huge and are the most destructive species, by far. I spend many hours cussing them while filling in their giant holes that they've decided to dig in the worst possible place at the wrong time of year, and repair stuff they manage to break or destroy. There are many other nice species that won't turn your yard into a desert wasteland. Just throwing that out there...

Check these out for more sulcata info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/