New Turtles at Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Since my workplace is located right on the Atlantic Ocean, I tend to spend a lot of time on the beach. Lately, this sight has been pretty common...

DSC06588.jpg

Yep, the central depression with the numerous tracks running toward the water is a sea turtle nest that exploded during the night. Here are more photos of the tracks left behind by the hatchlings. The little depression in the sand is the result of the hatchlings all working to the surface together. As they work the sand trickles back down into the nest behind them leaving the depression.

DSC06591.jpg

DSC06592.jpg

Mixed in with the various marks in the sand are fox tracks. Foxes are very common on Palm Beach and they patrol the beach every night. Sometimes they even are out during the day.
If you look closely, you will see that some of the hatchling turtles don't exactly head straight for the water...

DSC06593.jpg

I have seen countless mass escapes from the sand to the water and regardless of where the nest is located, some of the hatchlings take longer to figure out which way to head than others. But their tracks almost always do lead to the water eventually.
Most likely this was a loggerhead nest as this is our most common species. But we also get green sea turtles and even leatherbacks from time to time.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
How fantastic to be there! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the reason why they have trouble sometimes figuring out which way to go is because of city lights, they use moonlight to find the sea and city lights sometimes confuse them, some cities have rules about light usage during sea turtle hatching times.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow you have a hard job Carl. :D I would love to work close to a beach. I would also love to see the babies making their way to the ocean, that would be awesome. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You are so lucky :) Wow, it must be beautiful to see the little babies going into this ocean :)
Thanks for sharing!

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
Wow! Where do you work? I'd love to have a job like that : )

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
spikethebest said:
can you create a google map image of exactly where this spot is??? or what city or zip code is it? thanks

Hah! Somebody's thinking what I'm thinking! I've NEVER seen turles lay eggs (or hatch for that matter) on shore...and I would love to...what a spectacle it must be!:)

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
O how neat. You need to stay out there during the night and get some cute little pics for us. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.