New tortoise

Cruz Alarcòn

I just rescued a new 28 year old male tortoise off the street but no one has claimed him in months... I have two five year old female tortoises who come first... He has been following my girls smelling them but whenever they get close to him he gets scared... Will he end up trying to have sex with them or will he just ignore them and let them be until they can even have babies ( by then I will have spayed them)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I just rescued a new 28 year old male tortoise off the street but no one has claimed him in months... I have two five year old female tortoises who come first... He has been following my girls smelling them but whenever they get close to him he gets scared... Will he end up trying to have sex with them or will he just ignore them and let them be until they can even have babies ( by then I will have spayed them)

Welcome. What species of tortoise are you speaking of here? I am curious how you determine the tortoise you just found is 28? Where did you find him at? I don't know how to answer the rest of your questions without knowing for sure what species of tortoise you have..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm very confused reading your post. You "JUST" rescued a tortoise and yet no one has claimed him in months.

He follows the females, however if they approach him he's afraid of them?

Spay a tortoise? this is a very expensive and dangerous thing to do, and quite unnecessary.

It occurs to me that you need to do quite a bit of research into tortoise care.

May we see pictures of your tortoises?

Cruz Alarcòn

Hello sorry, I should have mentioned that all my tortoises are California desert tortoises and my cousin found him on the street but wasn't taking very good care of him (only fed him watermelon and lettuce) so I offered to take him in and I did... A vet told us he is about 28 years old.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Okay so here is whatmi would do..remove that tortoise from the enclosure of you two smaller ines..you do not want to jeopardize the health of the two smaller ones. I would set up this tortoise in his own space since he is grown. Also, you do not want to allow any chance of babies later down the line, babies can not be sold...you will also need to get a permit for him, that is an easy task..you can contact your local ca turtle tortoise club and they will get you what you need..as you have the other two as well I bet they could get all three handled for you.

Also, spay is what you do to a female :) the best way to assure no babies is to keep the males in their own enclosure and the females in their own enclosure, this is a species that can be highly aggressive with one another..especially male with male...a little less with females...however if you place a male with a female in a yard then the female can not escape the male and he will usually do harm..I also would not yet be certain that the two smaller torts are the sex you think..they are still small ...you may find you actuallymhave all males...and that will require individual space..but that you can worry about if it should present itself...

I don't know what the weather is like where you live but with winter comingmup you may have to set up temporary indoor enclosure for the new one..as it is not advisable to brumate when they are new to you...

Good looking tort by the way...how long have you had the two smaller cuties..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you so much for the picture! That clears up a lot. I don't think your smaller tortoises are big enough yet to know their gender. And the new tortoise really looks like a Texas tortoise to me. I would love yo see more pictures, top and bottom.

Cruz Alarcòn

Thank you this helps a lot... If he is a Texas tortoise (even though I live in CA) will he not even bother with my two younger ones? I have had the young ones for about a year now.. I have a tortoise table built for them for winter and they are growing very well. The big one seem very happy I only feed him grassland tortoise food and I let him eat dandelions and Bermuda grass. On rare occasions as a treat some lettuce. I do keep them seperate I just wanted to see his reaction to my little tortoises. I will give a picture but keep in mind that I personally only had him for about two weeks so the marks and slight pyrimiding was not my doing. There is also a pic of my two young ones

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cruz Alarcòn

Oh and I have my two little ones permitted but since I just acquired the new one I am getting the paper work in the mail

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you see how the new one is rounder than the more oblong smaller one? This is what makes me feel it's a Texas tortoise. But to be sure, can I see his underside?

Both are Gopherus tortoises, but the smaller ones are Gopherus agassizii and a Texas is Gopherus berlandieri. Yes, he will still bother them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup. Texas (Gopherus berlandieri) tortoise. He's full grown, and eventually your other two will be bigger than he is. Even though they are the same Genus (Gopherus), I still keep mine separate. I'm a purist, I guess.

Cruz Alarcòn

Ok thank you... He also somtimes oozes fluid from his chin glands... Is that normal? I noticed it yesterday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes. It mainly happens in the spring, during breeding season, but it can leak any time.

Cruz Alarcòn

Thank you SOO MUCH. You help me out so much... I found a friend to take him who I trust will take good care of him... He will get a permit and I will ensure he feeds him well.
- Thanks all of you