New tortoise owner

Rachelcoul91

Location (City and/or State)
UK
hi everyone,

I got my first tortoise on 23rd October 2015 and so far everything's been fantastic, he's very active & super confident he never gets scared, and never goes into his shell.
He sleeps in his active area underneath all his bridges and bits of wood, he does have a bedroom but doesn't use it.

We done our research before getting him so we have a tortoise table with topsoil/playsand substrate. We haven't got any plants in his table just yet could you give me ideas?

Are you allowed to put cacti or do they get easily prodded and Injured?

I've just ordered some pebbles and slate so he can grind his own nails down, is there anything else I could get for him?

Here's a picture of his table (just taken now so he's busy 1/2 burrowed) we removed another log to see him.

He's super curious & loves to climb on us from our feet to our shoulders.

I hope we're doing a good job. He seems happy.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    872.8 KB · Views: 4

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachel:

Your tort table is nice and big, but it looks so dry and barren. Get some plants in there and moisten the substrate. Also, the light should be hanging straight down. You may have to cover or partially cover the table to keep the warm, moist air inside and the cool air from the house out.

Rachelcoul91

UK
Thankyou, What types of plants can we put in? We have a cover we put over when nobody is with him.

I have just ordered some pebbles and slate for different textures we are due a change of substrate tomorrow so will add more substrate add plants and keep it more moist.

Thankyou for your help :)

Last edited:

Rachelcoul91

UK
We've added a cactus & are going to make arrangements to sort out his lamp holder, further along & taller so we can hang it flat.

Made his substrate nice and moist. image.jpeg

We'll be adding more pebbles and slate over the Christmas period as its all in the post now, slow working progress but we're getting there.

Rachelcoul91

UK
image.jpeg Updated photo of his table now, we want to add more greens to it in the future but for now he's loving his pebbles.