New Tortoise not eating...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
when i got my one tortoise a couple weeks ago it was eating by the second day out of my hand. i just got this tortoise like 3 or 4 days ago and he hasnt eaten at all. i even got him his own dish of food and all he wants to do is burrow and sleep..?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
the new one might be wild caught. Sometimes they just seem to know its the time to hibernate and there's not much you can do to make them stay awake. You might have to trick him into thinking he has hibernated...put him away in a cool spot for a couple weeks then at the end of that time, slowly wake him up with longer, warmer days and a good soak in warm water.

Julz

5 Year Member
Ohio
ok. my set up for my two torts is like a wodden box like thing and theres a section thats cut off and it kept dark. he stays in there all the time anways so i just wont bother him then. so i shouldnt be worried that he isnt eating? and how often should i wake him up to bathe him? im allowed to wake him up at all?? my other toroise is completely awake and eating and moving so i keep lights on most of the set up.

Julz

5 Year Member
Ohio
ok change of plans. i got a tubberware container, filled it with some coconut substrate. im leaving it in my room where my other tort is but i just wont put a light on him. there will be the occasional light from my room but i dont that will be a problem. im putting some food and water in there just incase. he already went to a corner and started sleeping. Does this sound okay? and how long will it take for him to become "wake" again?? haha sorry for all the questions im clueless. Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you going to trick em like suggested then wake him up in a couple of weeks and see what happens? if so then no need for the food nor water dish and you should really have a cover for the top and maybe put it in the back of the closet on the floor (to get to the coolest quietest place) and place the top on (kinda leaving a corner open for air)....and let him be for the two weeks.....

If you are just going to allow him to remain doing what he wants to in your over all enclosure then letting him sleep in the place of his choice should be allowed....and perhaps once about 7-10 days arouse him a touch and pull him out to soak him then allow him to go back to the place of his choice in your enclosure to do what it is he does....I would mark on a calendar the start date of either your trickery or your surrender so that you can accurately keep track of time...as it can pass pretty quickly otherwise and get away from you.... (well, it does me---maybe because I am 40+ LOL )

Status
Not open for further replies.