New Tortoise Keeper! Need Help

Team Dube

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hey guys,
So I am new to this forum and the world of tortoises. So I hopefully plan on getting a Wetsern Hermanns tortoise as a beginner tortoise keep (Have kept numerous other herps). So I did as much research as I could and I have a few questions. I plan on keeping my tortoise in a 3 1/2 foot long x 2 foot wide enclosure. Will this be big enough for him as he gets older? I also want to know the best diet for them, and the difference between getting a boy or girl tortoise.

(In advance) Sorry if I am posting on the wrong thread of section, I'm new to this whole forum things)

Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
how big is this tortoise?

Rue

Canada
Recommendations for the min. sized indoor enclosure is 4 x8'. This is for an Eastern Hermann's. ..but for practical purposes it makes no differences.

It is easier to raise a hatchling in a smaller enclosure. ..in part to manage heat, light and humidity levels more easily. But they will outgrow that smaller space. How long does that take ? By 3 years ...maybe a little less, they will outgrow that smaller space. Then they will need the larger enclosure.

Outdoors...give them as much space as you can. Apparently they have a range of about 40 acres. :)

RedFire

Beijing,China
More walking more healthy, so as bigger as you can. The best food for them is variety weeds.

Team Dube

Massachusetts
Recommendations for the min. sized indoor enclosure is 4 x8'. This is for an Eastern Hermann's. ..but for practical purposes it makes no differences.

It is easier to raise a hatchling in a smaller enclosure. ..in part to manage heat, light and humidity levels more easily. But they will outgrow that smaller space. How long does that take ? By 3 years ...maybe a little less, they will outgrow that smaller space. Then they will need the larger enclosure.

Outdoors...give them as much space as you can. Apparently they have a range of about 40 acres. :)
Okay so I was wondering, if I got the tortoise as a baby, no older than 10 months old, how long could he stay in a 3 foot by 2 foot enclosure. This enclosure certainly will not be his enclosure for life, as it is just a matter of space. Going outside in Massachustts in the winter is not a option at all, but I would say 5 out of every 7 days in the summer the tort would be put outside for the day. What are your thoughts?