New to the Forum

Allen

My wife and I are new to the Forum and doing a bit of research before we buy are first tortoise. We live in Houston, TX and would like to get a tortoise for our backyard. We have a three car garage and would put an accessible pin in there for the winter months. We were looking at sulcata tortoise because we love there size however after seeing the damage they can cause to a backyard we are going to pass. Want to know any recommendations for a tortoise for our climate that can be keep outdoors that gets big but won't knock down fences and dig burrows under the foundation. We will make a pin for the tortoise so he isn't just free roaming. Also my father has a lake house we go to often spending 2 to 4 day weekends there. Would a tortoise be ok for 2 to 4 days unsupervised?

Thanks

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I am in Texas too and I too wanted a Sulcata but decided to go with leopard tortoises instead, for the very reasons you mention. Leopards don't dig burrows and tear down fences. They don't get nearly as large as a Sulcata but they are still large tortoises. I have 3 and possibly one on the way (an egg in early incubation).
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405433932.059937.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1405433948.259906.jpg

They are still under a yr old, so still mostly indoors in a humid chamber but they will transition to outdoors when they are large enough.

I also have a pair of Russians.

Elohi(Earth)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, and welcome to the forum. I've got three sulcata tortoises I a large backyard. I've made a square perimeter wall made up of cement blocks to keep them in, and non of them seem to want to burrow underneath so far. They have plenty of room to graze and stay out of each others hair. Buy Leos are a great choice! You're doing the smart thing and doing your homework.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York

Allen

Once the are a year or older can they go 2-4 days unsupervised outside with plenty of grass and water?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, Allen:

I'd like to welcome you and your wife to our forum!

I don't like to leave the young tortoises unsupervised because they tend to end up on their back. Once they get some size to them, they can pretty much fend for themselves.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Allen welcome to the TFO from AZ . Leopards rule I have 20 of them and everything they say is true . But they do need fresh water . My leopard tort enclosure is 13x 36 feet .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Allen

Thanks for that all that posted. Can anyone recommend a good breeder or seller of Leopard tortoise preferably near the Houston area? Theirs the gulf coast tortoise rescue but as of right now they have no Leopards to adopt. Might just wait until one shows up for a rescue. The only fear I have is a rescue tortoise more than likely has been neglected and would need more medical attention and extra TLC.

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Welcome!
My votes for the Leo's! (Leopard Tortoise) We've had ours over a year now and we are addicted! Would LOVE to have more :D
You've come to the right place for your research. Really happy your researching first. A lot of people don't. I started by following the breeder and internets advice and quickly changed to Tom's methods. Let's just say my tort has far exceeded the other's in the clutch.
Good luck and Welcome!!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
@Greg T is right in your area. 2 of my 3 are from him and they are perfect. Healthy and beautiful animals.

Elohi(Earth)

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Welcome aboard! Thought: While you are waiting for a rescued tort, you can be building the enclosure.
There is a board on this site for breeders, one for swaps, one for sales and adoptions.
I can't help you with your choice, I have my first tort, a Russian. Of course I would recommend them but they are a smaller type.
Note: to leave unsupervised for several days, shouldn't you consider theft or vandalism? or predators?
;)

Allen

my backyard is pretty secure so I'm not worried about theft or vandalism. I would try to make his pen as predator proof as possible. Like I said we go to the lake house for 2 days up to 4 day weekends pretty often during the summer and before I decide on buying a tortoise is it realistic to be able to leave my tortoise alone for that long of a time period when there older. I know when there young they need a lot more care.

Allen

also one more question is it better to get two so they have a buddy or as they get older will they start to fight.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
also one more question is it better to get two so they have a buddy or as they get older will they start to fight.

Torts are Never work in pair. Yes they will fight if both are male, If you have one male and one female, the female will stress-out when male Leopard come the the sex maturity. Unless your enclosure are very big and with lots hiding places.
If you like to have more then one Leopard tortoise you may consider at least 1.2, mean one male and two females. or even 1.3. Then again, the question you need to have a very large enclosure for both indoor and out door. In TX, that may not be an issue.

Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Welcome! Keeping pairs of torts is NEVER RECOMMENDED! Just stresses them out, they might not work well together.... Also different species may carry different diseases... If they don't fight (it may lead to death), you can keep them in a really BIG enclosure.... But there still is a probability they will fight/cause stress to one (so you always need a back up...

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
my backyard is pretty secure so I'm not worried about theft or vandalism. I would try to make his pen as predator proof as possible. Like I said we go to the lake house for 2 days up to 4 day weekends pretty often during the summer and before I decide on buying a tortoise is it realistic to be able to leave my tortoise alone for that long of a time period when there older. I know when there young they need a lot more care.
If you want to leave you can leave home, just find a friend to feed some food you prepared for the tort... Let him check on him twice daily. Good luck :D