New To Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy

5 Year Member
Hello All!!

My name is Leslie and this is my first post to the Tort Forum (or any forum for that matter)! My partner and I were blessed with a beautiful sulcata in December, 2012! After prayerful consideration, a LOT of research and discussion with local tort experts we made the committment to the lifelong care of our new friend! We believe that ours is a female and have named her Daisy (fully understanding that she may prove be a "Darrell" in a coupile of years!)!! We believe she is about a year old, she measures about 3 1/4" in shell length! We got a lot of great advice and resources in reading the posts in this forum and have her on a diet of Opuntia, aloe and a variety of "sulcata grasses" that we are growing for her! Thanks to all for your hellpful posts! We look forward to being part of the Tortoise Forum community!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Leslie, and welcome to the Forum!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. What a great choice to get a sulcata. I love them too; I've got three myself. I just love how you immediately claimed a lifetime commitment to Daisy. Many don't know what that entails, or don't realize the extent of that commitment. You do! :)

Daisy

5 Year Member
We are absolutely smitten with her! I will post a pic one I figure out how to do that! We have a lot of naturally growing Opuntia in our area (we are in Texas) and they are coming into bloom and the prickly pears are ripening...can anyone tell me how often she can have the prickly pear fruit? We gave her a small amount of the ripe red frit and she LOVES it (we even have prickly pear jelly here for the humans)! My concern is that the sweeter cactus fruit may disrupt her natural bowel flora...is that the case or is she free to have it as she wants when they are in season?

1-sulcata: Daisy
3-cats: Mija, Domino, Batman
Bunch of fish

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises have been known to sit under a cactus in the wild and gorge on the fallen fruit. I think as long as its a seasonal thing, too much won't harm the tortoise. Fruit all the time all year long isn't a good thing.

Daisy

5 Year Member
This will make her VERY happy! will have to go do some "harvesting" later today!! Here are a couple of pics!!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1368292215.583965.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1368292295.628097.jpg

1-sulcata: Daisy
3-cats: Mija, Domino, Batman
Bunch of fish

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Hi and welcome :) she is very cute! I have 3 sullies, so I think you will enjoy her a lot :)

Life is good

Status
Not open for further replies.