New to Forum

boltzfan

Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hello all. My names Kris. Im a long time reef aquarium enthusiast and just now getting into wanting a tortoise. I have built my first tort enclosure and plan on getting a leopard tortoise. Ive been reading alot on here and trying to soak up all the information and make sure I am prepared as possible for this new little creature. I have a large backyard that I will dedicate a good portion to the tort when its old enough for outdoor living. I have 2 young sons who are very excited about our new friend as well. Im hoping to get a baby from Tom, but not sure yet. I appreciate all the info thats been posted on here by experienced keepers and breeders!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kris!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hi Kris! Welcome from the Heart of Texas! My daughter's pick was a sulcata but out house is in a subdivision with HOA rules and covenants, so the second best for our climate zone seemed the South American forest tortoises. And since my daughter was at the time only 10 yrs old... needless to say I'm the main custodian of 2 gorgeous RF juveniles: Shellie and Tucker. Being however firm believer in things happening for a reason I'm trying to make the best out of this "first shot in the kids' own pet" fail and really really enjoying my time on this wonderful Forum. Have been active here for 2 yrs now, made many wonderful friends which I hope you find to be true for yourself as well. Glad you have found us here. Post questions, pictures (lots of them! We love pictures!) share your knowledge and experience, make friends and enjoy!

boltzfan

SoCal
Thanks Pearly! I was just in Little Elm Texas to help move my youngest brother back to So Cal. I'm as excited as the kids are about this adventure lol. Will definately share all I can. If anyone ever has any reef tanks questions I'd be happy to help

Pearly

5 Year Member
Thanks Pearly! I was just in Little Elm Texas to help move my youngest brother back to So Cal. I'm as excited as the kids are about this adventure lol. Will definately share all I can. If anyone ever has any reef tanks questions I'd be happy to help
Ahhh! The reef tanks!!!! Love them! But never been brave enough to try it and now deciding that some things are best if left for other people to do. I'm trying to learn how to appreciate just looking at beautiful things/projects without being a part of their creation. There are sections on this forum for " off topic chats" or "other pets" and such, I hope at some point I start a thread there about your reef tank adventure with lot and lots of pictures of your tanks:) I adore fish tanks! Could sit and stare at one for hours! Looking forward to checking out yours:)

boltzfan

SoCal
Get my Leopard baby today!!! Here is the enclosure I made for him. This morning It was at 81 degrees and 80% humidity.

boltzfan

SoCal
raw

boltzfan

SoCal
Im going to add some fun stuff to the enclosure over time. Plants, maybe a second story, some rocks. Ill post pics as that develops. Ive been keeping my eyes peeled for local greenery. Found a spot that has massive amounts of prickly pear cactus pads. Already chopped up 3 bags worth. also am growing some grass and a hibiscus tree currently. I will also update when I have outdoor enclosure for sun time built!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Get my Leopard baby today!!! Here is the enclosure I made for him. This morning It was at 81 degrees and 80% humidity.
Awww! Congratulations! But for some reason i can't see your pictures!!!!!!! Uggghhhhhhh! I wanna see that lil cutie!! And 80%/ 81F- perfect for little baby tortoise!!!! Try to keep her that way her first year with basking place where she can go get warmer if she needs. 80F with high humidity will be your perfect recipe for her to grow nice smooth shell and keep her lungs healthy and free of snigffles

Pearly

5 Year Member
Im going to add some fun stuff to the enclosure over time. Plants, maybe a second story, some rocks. Ill post pics as that develops. Ive been keeping my eyes peeled for local greenery. Found a spot that has massive amounts of prickly pear cactus pads. Already chopped up 3 bags worth. also am growing some grass and a hibiscus tree currently. I will also update when I have outdoor enclosure for sun time built!
How will you store your chopped up cactus? For me it stores much better/longer as a whole pad

Pearly

5 Year Member
How will you store your chopped up cactus? For me it stores much better/longer as a whole pad
There is also completely nothing wrong with feeding some store bought greens like collards, mustard greens, occasionally kale, radish and carrot green tops, parsley, celery, mine also love raddicchio (mine are RF's but I want to say it should be ok for your leopard too). Some stores or farmers markets sell dandelion greens, edible flowers and such. Try to get as many different diet items as you can for your little leo, remember eventhough she's a grazing herbivore, she still needs to eat that daily "rainbow of colors" in order to cover her nutritional needs. That plus sun or good UVB + right temps/humidity, daily soaking through her 1st year + safe escape/predator proof enclosure = happy and healthy pet tortoise. I should add another component to the equasion: stick around this forum, bcs you can't go wrong with advice you get on here:) I hope to be able to view your pictures somehow soon