New sulcata

Antioch

Hey guys I just got a sulcata tortoise for an early seventeenth birthday present, ImageUploadedByTortForum1391739009.988693.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1391739798.693041.jpgmy grandfather is building her a new home but for a little bit she will be living with my 7 year old bearded dragon as she already has been for about a week, and my bearded dragon has lived with a tortoise before. The current enclosure is 4ft by 2ft by a foot and a half. ImageUploadedByTortForum1391738899.040330.jpg I'm trying to include pictures but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. The substrate is sand and I know that's not good for sulcatas but its only for a little bit. My main questions are about the new terrariums set up. It's going to be about 5ft by 3ft by 2ft and since I know (think I know) small sulcatas need humidity like a natural burrow, I was going to do one half on the not basking side substrated with bed a beast and moistened and the other half with reptile carpet. I don't know if this is a good setup and need help.

My dad actually bought the tortoise off a kid who I don't think took very good care of her at all. When I got her she came in a 2ft by 1ft tank that didnt have a heat light,Had aspen bedding which I don't know how good that is for tortoises and had a tray full of old iceberg lettuce. For the first couple of days her eyes were what seemed
Like glued shut so I was worried but after a couple days with the heat lamp and stuff she seems fine an I was wondering If that was just a heat problem? This tortoise is also four years old and reallly small. I've had a sulcata before for about ten years. He died last year of what I think was a respiratory problem my dad couldn't take him to a vet for. (I have to pay for everything myself for my pets). He was about 30 pounds and for the first half of his life wasn't properly cared for because I was too young to really affect the way my parents raised him. For the second half he lived outside and I bought him a dog house that I plan in using for this tortoise when she's older.

The house my grandfathers building will only be for a couple months until summer where it gets pretty hot here in California. And for winters.

I'm also wondering how does just normal backyard grass work for a sulcatas diet because I know they're diet is pretty much all grass high fiber low protein and I haven't been able to get any Timothy grass I think it's called.
This tortoise also has a lot of pyramiding and I need advice on what to do about that but I think a big factor is humidity. I also spray and soak my tortoise a lot. I just need some all around help and appreciate any replies, I know this was about a lot more than just housing but I don't know where to post this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. Your tort would be much better off in a plastic tote, cheap, until the enclosure is finished. Mother sand you have him on could cause impaction problems, and the Beardies enclosure is way too dry for a sully. They need some humidity and the lack of it in this op torts life is one of the reasons he is pyramided. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the proper way to raise a hatchling to be smooth. Then you will have a better understanding of how they should be house as a n
Hatchling to about 1-2 years of age. After that, they should still have a humid hide.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Antioch, and welcome to the Forum!

It sounds like your little sulcata tortoise is pretty lucky your dad rescued it from a kid who didn't know beans about caring for a young tortoise.

No, the glued-shut eyes wasn't from the heat - well not totally. It was from being too dry. Young sulcata tortoises require a pretty moist habitat. So until you can get your new tortoise into the new habitat, soak it in warm water daily for about 15 minutes.

Please read the "Important Threads" at the top of the sulcata section. You will be amazed at all the things you THOUGHT you knew, but will soon find out were all wrong.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Congratulations on your new sulcata. As Yvonne pointed out, it is a good idea to soak him in warm water every day. The water should be about 90F, but if you don't have a thermometer it should feel warm to your touch, like bath water.